chapter [30]

[Rune]

I had woken up to the sound of voices mumbling something inaudible to me until I fully regained my hearing after falling asleep. The side of my face was still burried in Raven's chest and it vibrated when he spoke. It was so dark that I could barely make out his features but the grey hair that showed up to his side was definitely visible enough for me to get a little shock.

"G- grandma!" I yelled when finally realizing that it was her who walked along us through this deserted street where we were located at the moment.
When I tried to get down Raven kept holding onto me even more tightly.

"Your leg is still injured. And the village is right up ahead." He justified his actions and when quickly glancing in the other direction I saw the streetlights and yellow shining windows of a little village. We were still somewhere around the area of London... was this the village grandma was living at currently? How the hell was she even here?!

Again I turned my head to face the lady from where I was carried by Raven.

"Grandmaa..."

"Don't you dare complaining Rune Falcon. After Vera called me I searched whole London for you to find you injured after almost being murdered by your uncle!" She complained harshly and raised her hand as if to hit me although I knew she'd never do that.

Judgingly, I gave Raven a side eye.

"You told her?" I whispered but he only shrugged.

"What was I supposed to do? Say you stumbled over a rock?" He wondered when the answer was not necessary.

"You should at least be thankful that I was there to help your friends. The three of them are starting to get on my nerves." She grumpily continued her rant and I was already about to say something back before I noticed how something didn't fit.

"Three? I thought only Jane and Vince...?" Gladly Raven finished that sentence for me with a little grin plastered on his face.

"Apparently, Celeste survived too... she has incredible talent so your grandma told me she froze the blood around the bullet in her stomach until she could safely get it removed. It requires total concentration to an extent that only a handful of people with her ability can do it. I did not even know something like this was possible." Raven told me what he knew and I felt how a little weight was lifted from my heart. At least her... one more person that was alive made everything a tiny little less awful.

"Grandma..." I breathed out when we were approaching an inviting looking, old fashioned house.

"I know you want to hear from me that I am sorry for not listening to you and that I wouldn't have gone through this if I stayed at home but I can't say that... you know I love you... but I won't go back on what I did so please don't try to stop us. I am very thankful for what you're doing right now but I don't want you to get involved."

Granny didn't answer to that more than grunting but she did not seem offended by what I said. It only made her worry even more although she acted all tough. It felt wrong pulling her into this although she helped us survive. She was skilled but not skilled enough to survive if we were seriously attacked here.

The door opened and we were met with the tall figure of Vince. His hair was wet as if he'd just taken a shower but his green eyes were gleaming with happiness that I never saw before... he even smiled.

"Hey nerd. You didn't think we bit the dust, did ya?" Raven raised an eyebrow and basically shoved himself inside with me still on his arms. The further we got into the house the more embarrassing it got.

"You idiots..." Vince sighed and wrapped his arms around us after Raven had finally let me stand on two feet again. The embrace felt warm and genuine, the total opposite of what I had went through when fighting Peter.