chapter [21]

{Rune}

When Vince arrived we talked a lot about the upcoming mission and planned department dates and strategies. It was all superficial for the moment but Vince went more into detail when mentioning Neil leading the mission with two of his comrades.

Again I could feel Raven's mood switch like before. At first I held back asking anything about his brother because what we experienced in the elevator was a side of Raven that I never saw before. He had looked intimidated, nervous and vulnerable in front of his brother but if I told him that, Raven might think I'm trying to find a weak side on him. Probably, he didn't like this behavior either so I wondered what made the brothers relationship so... toxic.

"As far as I know, Rune, Kate and Ed will be allowed to come along since all three received the best reviews from the seniors so we'll be a group of 9 people." Vince was in the middle of explaining.

"9 people..." Raven thought out loud and furrowed his eyebrows.

"We need to be really careful then." He stated giving me a slight glance from the side that I simply mirrored.

"That is why I gave the task of taking responsibly for Rune to you." Vince answered totally unfazed by my obvious disagreement.
I could take care of myself and even if someone watched over me, I was still capable of running away any time I wanted to... it wasn't like they could stop me.

"What's that mean?" I crossed my arms.

"It means personal observation 24/7. I'm really sorry but we can't take risks here." Vince apologized even though it did not sound sincere at all.

"Especially since Kate and Ed will be with us most of the time and they ought not to know either."

Perfect... since I noticed Raven staring at me in the bathrobe before, the atmosphere had been uncomfortable but now I was forced to stay with him as soon as we'd leave for the mission. God damn, how was I supposed to focus then?

...

The day passed by when I went back to Vera's house giving her a very long and detailed explanation of what had happened. I could not tell granny that some people knew about my identity now but my sister gladly understood.
For her own safety we decided not to call for a while but only text or if necessary meet up as friends.

I took all the necessary stuff I had stored at her's with me one after another to bring it into the apartment. Jane and Kate had offered to help me get my things but they shouldn't come across Vera and her house if possible and I also wanted to be alone for the moment. So many hours being with people was exhausting to an extent that I just wished to hide somewhere for a while. But I couldn't... I had to deal with it and it was mostly my fault.

When I arrived at the Inoue company building in the evening with the last suitcase I coincidently came across Neil and next to him Ayaka on their way to the cafeteria. My apartment was a few floors higher up but I had also decided to stop at the small inside convenience store near there to buy some ice cream and cake.

From further away Neil Inoue already had that overly cold and intimidating vibe that spread form the way he walked to how his face had probably never smiled.
Having his hair so short fit well but I was sure that if this guy showed a little more emotion he could be really attractive.

"Neil! I want that kitty shaped strawberry cream bun they sell there." Ayaka's voice was heard over all the other voices of some people talking here and there or just walking by. She pulled Neil's suit but he shoved her away gently and glared down at her.

"Too much sugar is bad for your health. You should eat more vegetables like your father tells you to." He stated and added some more words that were lost in the surrounding noise.
To be honest, Neil felt a little different right now than when being with Raven in the elevator. Not that cold.