chapter [23]

It was the evening before the departure to London and I found myself staring at the wall after not having left the apartment the whole day with the excuse of needing time to mentally prepare. In reality I just didn't want to deal with Raven at the moment because I knew as soon as I saw him I'd pretend like nothing happened and I was totally fine even though I didn't mean to.
He hadn't even apologized to me or anything like that... it wasn't like I was angry at him for that but it still hurt a little.

We were still cool though. At least I hoped we were because personally I didn't plan on holding any grudges or judge what he said to me yesterday much. I tried to.

At some point I realized that thinking about this too much wouldn't use me anything and I stood up from the chair I had been sitting on to get ready.
Before we left for London I needed to speak to Vera or it'd be too late to tell her about what Vince explained to me. There was a chance that she'd know more after all.

However, in order to meet her secretly I had to sneak out and unfortunately the front door of the apartment was the only way. Raven had 24/7 surveillance of the hallway and I was pretty sure that a movement scanner was also put there since these people were still suspicious of me.

I took a deep breath and touched the cold door handle. I only needed to be fast enough to not be detected...

Using the maximum speed I thought I needed to afford got me out of that building in less than a second before I continued my way to the bus station breathing heavily because of all the stairs I had to run down. Luckily, I didn't encounter any people inside the building because it was almost midnight but as usual the streets were just as lively as in broad daylight.

Vera had promised to be at a certain bar every time around midnight the last few days before I'd go and when I entered the old fashioned jazz bar that she loved so much I could already see her sitting at some bar table with a glass of whiskey.

I had to admit that I needed a few seconds to actually realize it was her because her natural blond hair was now cherry red and cut in a short bob. The black dress she was wearing fit perfectly to it but at the same time it made me look out of place with my black joggers and dark purple hoodie.

"Vera." I called her not too loudly as she looked up to great me and make some space for me at the bar table. The music was rather silent in the background and conversations of other people were heard from all sides coming with the smell of expensive alcohol.

I pulled up the bucket hat I was wearing a little so I could clearly see my sister.

"Wow, you actually came. That's a nice change to rich youngsters thinking they can just ask me for my number." Vera laughed sarcastically and I pitied her a little although I also knew that she enjoyed the attention of other people.

"But enough of me, are you doing fine over there? Did someone follow you?" She asked and scanned the room behind us but I quickly made her calm down.

"I'm fine there, we've been preparing for the mission the last few days and they still don't know anything about you and granny. I said you are my childhood friend. I sneaked out without anyone seeing." I assured her and she nodded before pouring me a glass of coke. At least Vera accepted that I didn't drink alcohol...

"I see, that's good to hear. And how's it going with your dark haired lover boy?" She grinned and rested her chin on her hands.
At the mention of Raven I mentally sighed.

"That's not why I came here and stop calling him that." I flicked her forehead slightly and she did it back at least 10 times harder making me groan.

"I won't hehe." She chuckled evily and took another sip of her whiskey.