chapter [9]

{Raven}

Unlike usually, I was on time today when the first applicants joined the gym hall. Yesterday night, me and Jane had come up with a training plan for our trainees and as usual Vince helped us more than we actually did ourselves.

"You sure you want them to train together?" Jane asked me when we saw the tiny girl Katheryne and Ed, the one that looked like a man in his midlife crisis approaching us from the entrance.

"My trainees are quiet skilled, you know. Katheryne's gifted strength is focused on her legs, smililar to mine and Eddie has an eagle-like eye sight... he was a sniper in the army before." She told me and for a second I was impressed by how a person looking like him actually had some battles behind him. But my ego wouldn't let me lose to Jane's candidates.

"Rune is better." I simply stated and crossed my arms while silently thinking that this probably wasn't true. His gifted ability was quiet useless despite him being rather good in close combat. Secretly, I hoped Jane's juniors would beat him up a little after what happened yesterday.

"Oho, I never heard you say that." Jane seemed seriously impressed making me want to glare at her but the others had just arrived and behind them also Rune. Today he was dressed completely black making him look even more pale. His hair was tied back as usual and hidden by a black cap. He smiled that grin of his that managed to look completely genuine when he greeted us.

"Good morning, are we training together?" He wanted to know and I walked over to him and put my arm around his shoulder a little harshly. It made him flinch and I was satisfied with the fear he must feel because he thought I was going to get revenge for yesterday.

"Yes. We'll begin to show you different moves and techniques that fit each of you best. Training together is more efficient." Jane did a thumbs up sign and the others nodded.

"But first, we'll start with physical training. Gifted power or not, you should be in good shape to win a fight." I grinned and already heard the exhaustion and pain that these three would feel. Rune looked like he couldn't even run two rounds without collapsing.

"I'm a little out of shape so I hope you can bear with me." Ed excused himself awkwardly but Jane assured him that it was fine. As a sniper you probably didn't need to run much ...

"Well then... follow my lead, we'll run rounds until I say it's enough." I patted Rune's shoulder and got ready to the start line. Yeah, I'd make them sweat to their bones so they'd realize how real training looked like.

"Aaaaand go!" I began running in a rather slow tempo but already noticed Ed having difficulties to keep up... this was gonna be funny.

However, my expectations left me hanging big time.

After half an hour Katheryne gave up heavily breathing and sweating all over but Rune was still right next to me, calmly running along my side. It was weird how he didn't even look exhausted and I decided to speed up and go almost sprinting... and yet he kept up just fine.

It was after another 10 minutes of running at top speed when he finally stopped and let himself drop to the floor. I myself was barely able to go any further but nobody noticed yet.

"Oi, I didn't say you could stop, did I?" I slightly kicked his foot while the guy was still on the floor.

"If you want me to keep running you'll need to carry me." he answerd between heavy breaths and for a second the scenario played in my head. I unconsciously scanned his face that was reddish and sweating from exhaustion. Some hair strands were loose or sticking to his forehead and his red lips were slightly parted.