chapter [10]

{Rune}

The real training had started on Monday and the whole week I had followed the same circle of physical training, shooting training and other stuff and I had always gone to the library after that without anyone noticing. Over all, there was very little information about the massacre of the Falcon group so I read anything I could find that might give a clue. But what I found was nothing more that a small mention of the Falcon clan being annihilated because they broke some kind of unspoken rule.

All the research wasn't useless though because I also learned a lot about other gifted families in other countries and how they were influencing society as well as detailed information about how the gifted powers worked. Knowing about possible opponents surely was beneficial in a lot of situations that I might had to face in the future.

But still, on Thursday evening after another exhausting day when Raven didn't leave any chance to make fun or tease me I was basically still left with almost nothing.

Hopelessly searching for any historical book that could help me understand some of the Falcons and Inoues relationship I was about to grab a new book from a higher shelf when another hand already reached for it...

I pulled back and noticed the person next to me. It was easy to recognize him as Raven's friend that I remembered to be called Vince. He was very tall, even taller than Raven and his curly brown locks fell into his eyes. Vince was wearing big glasses that complimented his sharp facial features and overall neat look very well but they hid his green eye color. His eyes switched from me to the book he had just grabbed and to me again before he cleared his throat.

"If it isn't the crazy guy from Germany...you're an applicant and Raven's responsibility now right?" He asked sounding polite but he didn't really smile. Vince's expression was simply calm.

"Yes, that's me. And you are his friend, right?" I answered and he nodded shortly, luckily not questioning how I knew this. Instead he held the book in front of me as if to hand it to me.

"Why would a guy in his training read a book like this though? Connections and relationships between ancient gifted families?" He wondered out loud and let his eyes trail along the ceiling.

I thought about what I'd say next very intensively for a few seconds. Coming up with a lie was easy even though Vince didn't look that easy to lie to. On the other hand he was part of the IT and security system group in the Inoue company so he had to know something, right? Asking him was risking getting suspicion on me but I wanted to give it a try at least.

"Well, uhm actually I don't know much about the gifted society because I only learned that my powers weren't human a year ago. I'm an orphan..." I started explaining carefully.

"So you wanted to join Inoue group and went as far as threating Raven with a knife... I remember that." He answered unimpressed and I gulped feeling a little nervous. The impression he must have of me couldn't be good.

"Yeah I guess." I awkwardly laughed as he took the book back to him after I didn't take it. Nobody would actually believe me, right?

"I wanted to know some more about all the gifted families and read about the Falcon group of London being one of the strongest so I first thought about trying to join them. But then I found out that all of them were killed about 17 years ago. There wasn't much information in this whole library about that but I'm still curious about it." I spoke halfway the truth and lied a little to make it less suspicious.

Vince eyed me closely and adjusted his glasses.

"You won't find anything about that in this book." He simply stated and turned around to leave but I was quick to catch up to him when he went down some stair case.