chapter [2]

{Rune}

Inhaling air like I was about to die I threw the unconscious guy on my bed with the last bit of strength I had left before collapsing on the floor.
Running so fast surely was helpful but the energy I needed to afford was making me question if this was worth it. And of course someone had to be using the elevator so I was forced to take the stairs in secret.

Staying on the floor like this I gathered a bit of oxygen and kicked of my boots after throwing my coat over the only chair that this small apartment had. It was in the kitchen which was at the same time the living room. There was a small room with only a bed and a closet, a small bathroom another small room that I used as a recording studio to live out my hobby.

First thing I did was taking the guy's backpack in search for any ID or phone but he didn't even bring a purse and his phone was broken.

"Nice..." I ironically stated and took out another strange object that was wrapped into a piece of cloth.

Proceeding to unfold it, suddenly the thing started glowing. To be more specific, it was a blue gem in the hilt of a dagger glowing strangely bright. The small metallic blade seemed very sharp and it reflected the blue light to my face and to the walls creating patterns like the reflection of water.
With curiosity I took it out of the cloth to look at it more closely... then I suddenly started hearing them... strange whispers. They were echoing through my ears as if this object was trying to speak to me.

I couldn't understand a word, nor did I identify all the languages that were spoken but it surely came from that object. Dagger... the people looking for that guy also were looking for a dagger. So this was it? But what exactly was it?

A moment later my head began to hurt and I put that thing away somewhere into the recording room. As soon as I wrapped the cloth around it again, the voices where gone but my head was still hurting. Hearing voices from it was probably not a good sign so I decided I'd stay away from it for now. This thing couldn't be explained with human science so it surely had something to do with the gifted society.

"I'll just send granny a picture of it, I guess.." I thought out loud after considering that she might know about such a strange object that probably wasn't known to normal humans.
Speaking about that... I turned around to the black haired guy who looked like he was about to die. Should I help him? Or should I just throw him into some back alley and wish him good luck to survive?
Considering that option for a moment, I sighed. I could have just left him in the factory building but I already brought him here so I'd go through with it.

Carefully I approached him and tapped his shoulder a few times to see if he was really unconscious but he didn't move a muscle.
I noticed how the sheets underneath him had began soaking with blood and searched for the deeper wounds but the material of his clothes was too thick and sturdy to see anything.

Carefully, I tried stripping him from his vest and shirt where the injuries were the worst but ended up needing to cut the material.

The guy's left shoulder had probably been grazed by a bullet but despite the injury on his head and a few scratches he was fine. The fact that he was so well built definitely played a part in that. To me it was admirable having such a body since I just couldn't find the motivation to work out more than two or three times a week. My main exercise had always been running.
I wondered what kind out intense training that person went through to look like this...
Stop staring, I shook my head and felt embarrassed for a moment.

Again I checked his pulse and breathing but there was nothing wrong with it.

"Probably got knocked unconscious..." I mumbled and proceeded to treat his wounds with all the medical equipment that I could find. He wouldn't die and that was already something.