~30~

Not much later, I am walking towards Hanamaki's house, a big bag in my hands, my skin uncomfortably covered. I'm kind of unwilling to go, since I have to leave Mattsun behind and because Makki seems to dislike me now, but my worries and adoration for the two of them allow me to overcome this feeling.

The plan is to return all the stuff I'm carrying, talk to my friend about how he's doing, maybe try to resolve some things, and then go back with all of Mattsun's belongings. If they don't get back together after I talk to him, that is.

But what do I say? I haven't seen him at all, except when he came to help me and Iwa out. I haven't contacted him either. In no way have I tried to see whether he is doing okay. And now, almost a week later, it might be a bit too late.

The worst-case scenario is him not letting me in and shutting the door as soon as he sees me. It's unlike him to do that, but he's not himself right now. Besides, my behaviour has been kind of careless and rude. I wouldn't blame him.

A bit nervous about the uncertain yet close future, I turn left to the street he lives in. Here goes nothing, I guess.

I take a deep breath before knocking on Makki's door. Only then do I consider the possibility that he might not even be home. I didn't really think this through.

Right as I start doubting all my life choices, my pink-haired friend sticks his head out of the window upstairs. "What?"

"Hey," I start awkwardly, "I have some things for you."

"No thanks. Leave me alone." He disappears, but his window stays open.

"It's the stuff you left at Mattsun's," I tell him a little louder. "And he wants his stuff back as well."

With a sigh, he returns. "Fine. Give me a second."

"Can't I come in? It's a little cold outside," I plead honestly.

I hear how he clicks his tongue as he walks away again. A few seconds later, he opens his front door. "You're annoying."

Well, he's definitely angry. What do I do now? I promised I would try to make him feel better, but I don't think he'll let me. I'm willing to try, though.

"How are you?" I try as I follow him inside.

"Do you even care?" he scoffs. "Just be quiet and gimme that."

"I do care," I answer. "I'm sorry for not checking on you ever since you... you broke up with Mattsun." It feels weird to say it out loud like this.

Something flashes in his eyes, but he doesn't let it take control. "Oh, really? Let me guess. You were totally sorry for inviting me and shoving your new relationship in my face, too, right?"

"Iwa has a girlfriend," I shut him down, "but I'm not here to talk about that right now. I just want to know if you're holding up fine."

He stares at me blankly for a few seconds, trying to register what I just said. When he has done so, he rolls his eyes. "Whatever. I don't care what kind of mess the two of you are getting yourselves into."

"You're ignoring my question." His attitude is almost getting to me. I know he's probably mad at himself more than at anyone else, so I try to ignore it, but I can't help getting ticked off.

"As long as you're here, I won't be doing good," he replies harshly.

"Will you be okay when I leave, though?"

Once again, he is left speechless for a second. It gives away what he's thinking, even if he doesn't say it out loud. "What does it matter?"

"I don't want to see you like this, you know?"