Level 2: Blind

Before I could react I was suddenly blinded by a painfully bright light with the following sound like the click of a camera. All I saw was white! My eyes burned painfully as if someone just shoved me face-first into a fire.

I could not help but let out a shout. My hands reaching up and coming up to cover my eyes, trying to get the pain to go away. At my movements, I also stepped back, but since I was now disoriented I ended up slamming right into one of the pallets with my back.

Thankfully I appeared to have missed landing right on any nails or metal shards sticking out. I did however feel dozens of sharp wood shavings and splinters pierce through the thin cloth of my sister's pajamas and stick me in my skin.

This caused me to once again shout out in pain, but instead of shoving off of the wall and possibly landing against the other one facing me, I was able to stay where I was and grit my teeth through the pain.

I rubbed at my eyes but all I could process was white. Like if I was in the middle of a cloud, or trapped under an avalanche of snow. No matter how much I blinked, no colors or shapes molded themselves into view.

Hot, searing tears slid down my face and started to drench the front of my shirt. Mostly a reaction from getting blinded and now being in pain, but also now because I was starting to panic

I rubbed again at my eyes with the lower parts of my palms and finally, something started to happen. Everything started getting darker. My hope fell and shattered though when my sight did not return, instead of the white just faded to black.

The edges of my vision were still white, and if I moved my eyes it moved as well. Like my entire vision was recovering from looking at the sun.

My breathing started to become ragged as the seconds ticked by and no amount of rubbing or crying was doing anything to bring my vision back.

Would it ever come back!? How was I supposed to navigate out of here now!? I dropped both the nail and the flashlight somewhere and do not know where they could have rolled off too. Even though it's not like they were going to do me any good right now.

Even if I still tried to mark the walls I don't know if I would be able to feel it. I had to get that flashlight back though. It was an essential tool to my survival... if I would get my vision back. If I did not get my vision back then there was absolutely no hope of me making it out of here.

It had to come back... It had to! It was only temporary blindness is all. Like I thought earlier it's just like getting a dark spot from looking at the sun...only it's my entire vision.

Placing my hand gently palm down on the wall I was against, I tried to move away. All of the splinters stuck in my back pulled right back though. I could feel the ones that were piercing my skin get more caught in my, causing me to whimper.

I clenched my jaw to prepare myself as I ripped myself off of the wall. Hot air blew out of my nose as all of the air in my lungs was pushed out. I hunched my shoulders as I felt the skin all over my back pulse with pain for a minute.

The pain was rough, but I had no time to wait it out. I had to find my flashlight. I got down onto my hands and knees. Being careful with my hands as to try and not bump into something and possibly activate another trap.

It would not surprise me if there was another one just a breaths distance away. Just waiting for me to blindly stumble into it. That would be the smart thing for this killer to do. It would only make it all the easier for him.

My palm patted gently at the cement floor while my fingers searched carefully for any kind of object. They felt many dislodges pieces of wood, both from the wall and my back scattered all around me. At one point I think I might have felt the nail but at the slightest touch, it rolled away and was lost in the void.