Mafia

I did what any sane person would do.

I ran.

This can't be happening, this cannot be happening! He killed the boy. He shot him!

And my world just crumbled in front of me. What the hell just happened? Why would Jaxon just shoot a boy like that?! Is he dead? Did he kill him?

"Mia!" I heard him call from behind me but I didn't look back. I kept running. I didn't stop till I entered the house and ran to the closest bedroom I could find. It was one of the guest rooms and as soon as I entered I locked myself in. 

Soon after there was pounding on the door. "Mia!" Jaxon screamed and I could tell he was panicked but I didn't reply.

"Mia open the door!" Jaxon tried turning the doorknob vigorously but I didn't move. I sat on the far end of the room with my knees to my chest. Did he want to kill me too? Is that what he wants? Was he really in the Mafia? 

I had always heard the rumours about him but never believed them. The way that he treats me, he seems incapable of hurting anyone. But the Jaxon I saw back there wasn't the one that I knew. He was different, ruthless. He didn't even blink before shooting that guy. 

Was all that we had just a lie?

"Baby please listen to me, open the door. Let me explain." He said his voice breaking. I almost gave up and ran to him. But no. I had to protect myself. What if he hurts me just like everyone else. My life really does suck.

"Mia I'm not leaving until you open the door" He tried again but I wasn't having it. I needed space and time. I laid on the bed blankly. What about Joel and Kiley? Were they in it too? I know Joel was standing right there. 

I didn't even realize when, but soon after I lay on the bed sleep pulled me in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up sweating and panting. I had another nightmare. 

'Jaxon wasn't next to me that's why' my mind screamed but I still hadn't opened the door. I looked at the clock on the wall, it was 2 am. 

I sighed as I got up from the bed. I cannot sleep again anyway. I stood there for a while contemplating if I should open the door. After a few moments, I decided that maybe I should give him a chance to explain. Maybe I was just overreacting. Maybe the guy wasn't even real and I imagined the whole thing.

No wait, I did see it happen. 

And it scared the shit out of me. But Jaxon has never hurt me, hell he helped me. I owe him. I owe him a chance. 

I slowly turned the doorknob unlocking it and the door creaked as I stepped out. Jaxon was sitting on the corridor floor looking blankly at one of the walls, one of his knees near his chest, and his leg stretched ahead. His eyes looked red and puffy. 

As soon as his eyes connected to mine he shot up walking towards me. I stood my ground. He looked all over my face trying to decipher what I was feeling but I did a pretty good job hiding it. I was scared of him. I was scared that he would hurt me. Not physically maybe no. But emotionally. I had gotten too attached to him. I didn't want to lose him but I also didn't want to just forgive him. I was confused too. 

He carefully stroked my cheek as though he was trying to understand whats going on in my mind. I closed my eyes and cherished his touch.

"You shouldn't have seen that, Mia. But you should know that he deserved it." Jaxon said softly as though he didn't want to scare me.

"Are you in the Mafia?" I asked opening my eyes. 

He nodded. "So all the rumours are true?" I asked almost not believing it.

He pulled me back inside the guest room, closing the door. I sat down on the bed as he stood in front of me. 

"Why did you kill the boy?" I asked tears threatening to fall.

"He was involved in trafficking women and children. He mistreated them. He sold us out to another mafia. He deserved death."

"What about the others? They are in the mafia too?" 

"Yes,"

"Are you... their leader?" 

"Yes, Mia. My father ran the mafia up until a few months ago. When he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's he handed over the business and mafia to me."

"What about Kiley?"

"She is in too. Kiley manages the business things mostly though."

I closed my eyes again and nodded. All of my friends are cold-blooded killers. Great, just great. I could feel Jaxon stalk closer to me, he brushed one of his hand through my hair comfortingly. I just had to know one more thing and then I can make my decision. 

"Jaxon, do you really like me or am I just another girl for you who you could sleep with because you are a mafia boss? Just tell me please because I really opened up to you and I really like you but I don't want to get hurt and I'm scared and-" the tears fell free now but Jaxon stopped me.

"No Mia! Of course not!" Jaxon almost looked hurt that I said that but he composed himself and cupped my cheeks crouching in front of me.

"I would never ever hurt you baby. Ever since the day I laid eyes on you I knew you were special. You are the most beautiful I have ever seen. I didn't tell you all this before because I was afraid that you would leave me. I was also scared that my rivals would try and hurt you. I'm sorry baby I really am, I should have told you. I was just trying to protect you."

He wiped my tears off with his thumb.

"And don't you ever say that I am just using you. You are the strongest and most beautiful woman I have ever seen. You aren't just another girl Mia. I haven't like a girl this much before. Ever. Hell, I might already even be in love with you." 

And that made me stop.

"W-What?" I croaked out.

Jaxon merely smiled and let out a low chuckle at my confused and astonished face. Then he looked me straight in the eye.

"I love you, baby."