Thirty-five.

Kenji's POV

Athena conceals a laugh before turning to face me. "Can you tell me what that was?" she furrows her brow. I took her hand in mine to show the rest of the family, ignoring her previous question.

I'm not sure what got into me, but I couldn't stand the way he was staring at her. He stared at her like a predator looking for something to eat.

I didn't like how protective I got over her. I don't know what this strange feeling is, but I want it gone. We just had a moment and that's it. I shouldn't be feeling this way.

After all, she attempted to murder me and is the reason everyone in the mansion is on edge.

I'm not sure what this strange feeling is, but I want it gone. Feelings are a sign of weakness.

"This is Athena, Nonna." When I introduce her, grandma smiles broadly and pulls Athena into a hug. Since she doesn't return the hug,

"Sei cos Bella Piccola," Nonna looks at her in admiration. Just as I'm going to tell her she's not Italian, Athena comes in and interrupts me.

Translation: Your so beautiful baby.

"Grazie Mille." Athena smiles graciously, and I take her to meet my aunts after a few words with Nonna. They demand to meet her, but they have no idea who she is and will continue to have no idea.

Translation: Thank you so much.

I can see Athena is tense this evening, but she maintains a confident demeanor.

"Ladies. This is Athena, our newest recruit." I lie. Eloisa scoffs before I send her a look that shuts her up. They start introducing themselves to each other and having small talks.

"Tell me, Athena, are you fucking Kenji?" Viviana, my cousin, declares boldly.

The audacity.

"And what if I am?" Athena says with a raised brow, making my aunts gasp. "Back off." Viviana takes a step forward.

Since we were children, Viviana has had a thing for me. She believes we're going to marry, and she scares off any woman who dares to approach me.

But I never saw her in that light.

She made several attempts to seduce me, suggesting that I give her a chance. I used to ignore her or threaten her, but it doesn't work anymore because she knows she's family and can't be killed.

"I'd shut my mouth if I were you. Her temper is worse than mine," I warn her.

It's true. Athena is enraged, and two more words from Vivi will land a bullet in the center of her head.

Something we have in common.

By the time Vivi has finished arguing, she has reached out and touched my hand. "Let's get out of here," she says, batting her lashes, and I hear Athena snort as she walks out of the hall.

"Not at this time," I say as I lift her hand away from my shoulder.

To take my mind off things, I have a couple of drinks, specifically tequila.

I'm still perplexed by the strange feelings I've been experiencing recently. It's largely aimed at Athena. I'd like her to leave. But I can't let her go until I've gotten my answers.

It's a load of nonsense that she doesn't remember me from our childhood. How could she have known? She was a young girl with parents that cherished her.

Before everything went downhill, she enjoyed the best six years of her life. But if Athena is beneath my home, I swear to protect her.

Standing up and taking a quick look around, I shake my head. The world appears to be spinning. I'm probably tipsy since I had too much to drink.

I decide to leave the party and go outside for some fresh air. I slur my steps as I stroll to the pool, grabbing a bottle of water.

And there she was.