Chapter 10: Memories of Love

32 years ago in Enchanted Forest

Asmund sat inside a tavern in a small town on the edge of Enchanted Forest, dressed in poor clothing and sipping on a cup of ale while he listened to the townspeople talk amongst themselves.

A jug of ale please. a familiar male voice said behind Asmund and Asmund turned around to see Prince Charming standing at the bar in regular clothing as if in disguise and Asmund spun back around away from the prince who noticed Asmund spin around.

What do I do? Asmund thought to himself, Should I leave? The Queen was after him for some reason...

"Excuse me." Charming said standing next to Asmund who looked up at him, "Do you mind if I sit with you?"

"Um...of course." Asmund replied motioning to the empty seat across from him and Charming sat down with a sigh, "Long journey?"

"Yeah...how did you know?" Charming questioned surprised.

"You just seemed tired." Asmund said with a shrug and Charming chuckled.

"Just hate traveling sometimes." he told Asmund who laughed and nodded.

"I haven't gotten out much myself in life...my...father was pretty protective." Asmund said looking down and Charming titled his head at him, "He told me that the outside world was dangerous and he did his best to protect me."

"Well, I'm glad you have gotten out into the world." Charming replied smiling and Asmund looked at him surprised, "I mean...the world isn't all that bad. There are good things out here."

"That's true..." Asmund agreed in a soft voice as they looked at each other softly and smiled.

Over the next few months; Asmund visited the bar when he could and Charming kept coming back to take time to himself and they created a bond with each other, not knowing each other's true identity but Asmund did tell him his name. They were still able to be themselves freely with each other and one day they were walking along the riverside with Charming skipping stones across the river as Asmund walked beside him.

"So have you visited King George's kingdom?" Charming asked and Asmund shook his head, "It's a lovely palace and I think you'd like it...the balls are amazing there."

"You've gone to the Kingdom's Ball?" Asmund questioned trying to act like he didn't know the man.

"Yeah...I...well I'm Prince Charming." Charming admitted and Asmund looked at him surprised that he would reveal his identity to him, "I know I should have told you sooner but I just felt like I could tell you all this."

"I...I don't know what to say." Asmund said and Charming walked up to him and held his hand into his.

"You don't have to say anything, but I'd be honored to have you come to the ball tonight." he told Asmund sincerely as he dug into his pocket and brought out an invitation, "Please come."

Asmund didn't know quite what to say as part of him wanted to accept the prince's invitation but at the same time he didn't know if Regina and Rumpelstiltskin would let him and Charming looked at him concerned thinking that he overwhelmed his friend.

"Look, you don't have to answer me right now." Charming assured him, "How about you take the rest of the day to think about and I hope you come tonight."

"Okay." Asmund said smiling as he nodded.

Later that evening; Asmund returned to his room in one of Regina's towers and he stood in front of his mirror, looking in on Charming through his magic and seeing him wandering around his palace room and going over paperwork.