Chapter 4: Return?

A week after Asmund's arrival

Asmund sat at the diner in a booth as he sipped a fresh coffee while reading on his laptop checking on his business and other work duties, finishing up pretty quick since he had gotten up earlier that morning and did a lot of the work before the town got up. As Asmund sat there finishing up his workload; he pondered to himself about some dreams he had been having lately of another world filled with magic which seemed like...fairy tale. He took in a deep breath and sighed as he closed his laptop, signing off for the day, and finished his cup of coffee.

"Hey Mr. Henderson." Ruby said coming up to him and smiling at him, "How was breakfast?"

"It was lovely, Ruby thank you." Asmund replied thanking her as he paid for the breakfast with an extra large tip for her, "I appreciate all that you've done for me with your cooking and you and your grandmother letting me stay at the inn."

"Anytime, Mr. Henderson." Ruby said picking up the leftover plates as the doorbell chimed and Asmund looked up to see Henry coming into the diner with his usual backpack on.

"Asmund!" Henry cried out in excitement as he ran to Asmund and sat down across from the man.

"Hey Henry." Asmund said smiling at the boy as he looked at the door to see if Emma was coming in, "Where's your mom?" 

"She had to have a meeting with Regina." Henry told him, "They...well they are trying to have a civil conversation with each other though I don't know quite what they are meeting for...maybe it's about me?" 

"Do you fear that they will do something to harm each other?" Asmund questioned and Henry shrugged looking down at the table and Asmund sat there in thought for a moment, "How about you and I spend some time together? I will take you anywhere in town that you want to go to."

"Can we go to the hospital to see Prince Charming?" Henry begged with a big smile on his face and Asmund opened his mouth to tell the boy that they shouldn't but Henry had such a happy look on his face that he knew that he couldn't deny him.

"Very well, grab your bag." Asmund answered as he gathered his own belongings and stood up, throwing his bag strap over his shoulder and Henry bounced out of his seat excitedly and ran to the door as Asmund looked at Ruby and Granny behind the bar, "Thanks again, Granny and Ruby."

"Come again, Asmund!" Granny called out waving and Asmund nodded as he and Henry left the diner and headed to the hospital.

"Mr. Henderson." a man, with platinum blonde hair and blue eyes wearing a button-up blue shirt and brown khakis with a blue tie and white lab coat on, said coming up to him.

"Dr. Whale." Asmund said greeting the man, "Is it okay if we visit John Doe? Henry would like to read to him."

"Well..." Dr. Whale started to say as he looked unsure.

"It will just be for a few hours...we will make sure to leave on a good time and let him rest." Asmund assured the doctor who sighed and nodded, "I appreciate it, Dr. Whale."

"Just remember to keep an eye on the time." Dr. Whale said as Henry ran to John Doe's room and Asmund nodded before following Henry into the room.

Henry pulled out his book and flipped it open as Asmund sat down in a chair, leaning back on it and relaxing.

"So what story are you going to read to him now?" Asmund asked smiling at the boy who flipped through the pages.

"I'm going to read him the story where they send Emma through the magic wardrobe." Henry answered and Asmund's smile faltered slightly and Henry found the page, "Long ago Princess Snow White cried out in pain while beginning to deliver her baby girl in her chambers. 'She's coming, Your Highness...' one of Snow's handmaidens said to the Princess, 'Just take a deep breath.'"