Chapter 9: Darkened Heart

Few days after curse was broken

Asmund sat in Regina's spare room, looking at a mirror as he waved a fire spell around his hand while he sat in his new room trying to remember his past but with still to no avail. Asmund stayed hidden in Regina's house and ignored any calls to his phone as he practiced magic with Regina, learning quickly and becoming more powerful as he learned the spells again.

Asmund. Regina's voice called out from below and Asmund stopped his magic before heading downstairs and finding the mayor in her study room going over paperwork, "Ah there you are...I believe it's time that you can appear in Storybrooke again and find out what Emma and her parents are planning now that the curse is broken."

"And what shall I tell them if they ask where I've been?" Asmund questioned leaning against the wall and crossing his arms.

"Just tell them that you needed to get out of town for a while." Regina told him and Asmund looked down as Regina looked up from her paperwork and looked at him, "Asmund...are you having second thoughts?"

"More like I don't know if I can hold myself back around them and not just ruin their lives right then and there." Asmund said clenching his hand on his arm and Regina smiled softly at him as she got up and moved up to him, placing a hand on his cheek.

"My dear Asmund..." she said sweetly, "You're more powerful than you know and you can control yourself...now change your eyes back to normal."

Asmund sighed as he used his magic to change his eyes back to brown and Regina smiled at him before sending him off into town to act as if everything was normal. Asmund entered Granny's diner and looked around to see some of the townsfolk eating breakfast and Ruby looked up from the counter and gasped in surprise as she saw Asmund standing there.

"Asmund!" she cried out happily and Asmund cringed inside as he forced himself to smile sweetly at her as she ran over and hugged him tightly, "Where have you been?"

"I had to go out of town for while." Asmund said as they walked over to the bar and Asmund sat down on one of the barstools while Ruby went behind the counter and got him a fresh cup of coffee, "Some business with my company that they needed me for."

"Oh is everything okay?" Ruby asked concerned and Asmund nodded as he sipped the coffee.

"Yeah, just needed me in some meetings." he answered, "Do you mind if I have one of your delicious pancakes?"

"Of course." Ruby said grinning as she went to make the food.

Asmund sat there as she went in the back and the doorbell jingled again as more of the townsfolk came into the diner.

"Asmund, do you mind taking care of them?" Ruby asked peeking her head through the door and Asmund nodded as he rolled his eyes mentally.

Asmund got up and began serving the people of Storybrooke while Ruby made the orders and Asmund started to remember why he loved the people of Storybrooke as his smile became more genuine over time. As Asmund stood behind the counter making a fresh pot of coffee, the doorbell rang and he turned his head slightly over his shoulder.

"Sit anywhere and I'll be right with you." he said.

"Asmund?" David's voice replied and Asmund froze as he heard the man's voice and he turned to see David standing there dressed in blue jeans and button blue shirt and leather jacket looking at Asmund in shock, "Oh my god, where have you been?"

"I...I um." Asmund stammered as he stood in front of the prince nervously and looked around for Mary, "I had to go out of town for work for a little while."