15TH SHOT PT.5

"This is supposed to be fun," Jisoo says, voice muffled as she buries her face in her hands.

"Nobody saw this coming," says Bona, eyes fixed on a piece of lychee she's stirring at the bottom of the glass of her iced tea.

Silence settles between them, but not the uncomfortable sort. The girls are occupied by their own thoughts, reveling in how-did-it-come-to-this before Bona breaks it. "Can you blame me, though?"

"Huh?" Jisoo looks at her, face demanding a further explanation.

"Falling for her is so natural I didn't realize it's happening," Bona scoops the soggy lychee and shoves it into her mouth. Jisoo watches her, smiling at what her dear friend says.

"Which makes.." Bona chews fast and swallows the piece of fruit, "..not falling for her is like defying the rules of nature."

Jisoo laughs. Partly because she finds what Bona has just said amusing, but also because she knows that Bona is screwed. In fact, she voices it. "You're screwed.."

"Tell me about it," Bona rolls her eyes. Arms folded, eyes looking anywhere but Jisoo, as if not wanting her to spot what's there. Her confusion, her fear, her feelings for Lisa.

Jisoo silently watches her. Being good friends for years, she knows what the gesture signifies. She reaches for Bona's hand and gives it a gentle squeeze. "I'm sorry. I started this.."

Truth be told, she is eaten by guilt. It was meant to be fun, as in making Jennie jealous to a manageable extent and that's it, case closed. Bona is a great actress, no doubt about that. But Jisoo forgot that she's just a normal human being with feelings, and the probability that she might fall for Lisa is a variable she didn't take into her equation.

"Nah, I said yes. It's totally on me," Bona waves Jisoo off. "Is it called a fake breakup if it's a fake relationship?"

Jisoo just smiles. "Too bad the feeling is not fake yeah?"

*

The journey home is exactly as Bona expected: uneventful. She intentionally takes a longer route, insisting on driving by herself despite her manager's protest, enjoying what's left of the sun on her face as it's setting at the end of the horizon. She curses at the universe as the radio keeps playing love songs before finally turning it off when it's playing Lucky by Jason Mraz.

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend~

What a mockery of her current state.

Her Cartier watch reads it's quarter to seven when she steps into the lobby of her apartment. She mindlessly takes the elevator and walks the hallway that leads to her unit. Her footsteps are rushed, suddenly tempted by the idea of wrapping herself with a thick blanket while watching sappy movies on Netflix. And maybe a gallon of ice cream. Wait, definitely a gallon of ice cream. She scoffs at the air, now finding the idea suddenly miserable, wallowing in yet another episode of how-did-it-come-to-this when she spots somebody sitting by the door of her unit. Despite the mask and the bucket hat, she can tell who it is in a heartbeat. Or from her heartbeat, because it's suddenly increasing in pace, drumming her chest in a chaotic manner.

Feeling somebody standing in the corner of her eyes, the person looks up by reflex and springs to her feet once she sees it's Bona.

"Hey," here comes the raspy voice that turns Bona's knees to jelly. Only a couple of long strides and Lisa is already in front of her.

"What are you doing here?" The height difference makes Bona have to look up to be able to see Lisa. A pair of tired eyes staring back at her, demanding an explanation she knows she owes. Lisa's bare face makes the dark circles under her eyes more evident and Bona can't help but think it is her doing.