14TH SHOT PT.1

Lisa was staring at five furballs lining up in front of her, digging their dinner and making chewing sounds between purrs. This must be what being a mother feels like, she thought, eyeing dreamily at wiggly furry buttholes appointed at her – until one of them moved to the side, bumping the one next to him and the neat formation was ruined. The next thing that happened was a piercing chorus of meowing and a scratching fest.

"Yah Le-o, don't be greedy! That's Lily's dinner!" Lisa got a hold of the Scottish Fold and lifted him up. "Jesus, you're heavy!"

The Thai took Leo into a separate room so the cat wouldn't chomp on the others' bowls again. "I told blinks you're not fat, boy. Back me up here a little," Lisa berated, her index finger pointed at Leo's pink nose. As if knowing that the owner was mad, the feline gave a pair of glistening sad eyes.

"No, you can't keep throwing me that look. Won't work this time," She bent down and set the fat cat free but not without being reminded of her injured shoulder. She hissed from the unanticipated pain. It had been weeks and yet it never got fully healed because she had been working really hard, and being a dancer goddess that she is, not giving her 1000% is a hell no.

She took some painkillers, fiddling with the now familiar white and green capsules she had been taking for the past couple of weeks in her palm. "I wonder if it can heal another pain too," she chuckled to herself. "Okay that was hilarious," she forced a laugh this time.

There was something about today that despite how hard the Thai tried convincing herself it was just another day, she couldn't seem to get rid of this uneasiness off her chest. Maybe it's in the day off, that she got time to think things through, pondering on what's past and its repercussions in the present. Maybe it's in the big yet empty place, that made her feel somewhat alone – despite the five cats – and miss her family back in Bangkok that she hadn't seen for more than a year due to the pandemic. Or maybe it's in the notifications flooding her Instagram, casually tagging her with every Blackpink member, greeting happy Valentine's day. Jensoo, Chaelisa, Lisoo, Chaesoo, Jenlisa.

Jenlisa.

Let's not go there, Lis. Her mind warned her.

Her phone rang and she mentally thanked god for the distraction. It's Jisoo.

"Unnie, I told you a million times already. I'm not—"

"You're not coming, yes. Jisoo told me a million times already too, darling," said a gentle voice from the other line.

"Aunt Kim!" Lisa was shocked because there's no way she thought Jisoo's mom could call her.

The woman on the other line chuckled and Lisa realized that it had been a while since the last time she heard it in person. Now she regretted turning down Jisoo's dinner invitation at her house. Just a little, though. Part of her still thought that she needed this time alone more than anything at the moment.

"How are you, darling?"

"I'm good, thanks! How are you and uncle?"

"We're good, too."

"I'm sorry I couldn't come to the dinner."

"It's okay, I understand. You need to rest well, we know you girls have been busy. I sometimes forgot that Jisoo is our daughter too because she's rarely home."

"Yah eomma, I heard that!" Jisoo's voice was heard clearly, she must be sitting next to her mom. Lisa could only laugh – her first laugh that day that wasn't forced. And that just instilled more guilt for turning down the Kims' invitation. How did she choose to be alone and miserable instead of being surrounded by heartwarming people?