9 • The Worst Carnival Ever

BEAU • [10:17 a.m.]

I clicked my phone shut and started to tap my feet impatiently

I clicked my phone shut and started to tap my feet impatiently. We weren't even entering the carnival yet and I wanted to go home already. Or be elsewhere. I just want to be anywhere but here, with anyone but her.

Sure, last night was a fun—well, the latter part that is, because number one: I enjoyed the game that Piper thought of, and number two: because Pascal interrupted, and that gave me the signal for me to leave their house.

The first half of the night last night was totally awkward. Piper's dad was trying to play matchmaker with me and Piper, and these two carnival tickets that I was holding right now were for sure a part of his plan. What pissed me more was that I hated carnivals.

Why me, Griffin family? Why me? Couldn't they see that Piper and I being together won't work out?

I whipped my head left and right, scanning the crowd if I can spot some familiar faces from school. So far, I didn't see one, and that was a good thing. I didn't want anyone from school to see me in the carnival with Piper. It'll be an embarrassment.

"Hi," I heard a soft voice said behind me, and I turned around to see Piper holding her knees, panting. "Sorry, there were lots of people in the line and I had to—"

I cut her off, not really in the mood to hear excuses. "It's okay. Let's just go inside." She nodded and followed me to the entrance.

Ah, Alcovix theme park. What a time to be alive. I nodded disapprovingly to myself right after I thought of that. How about no? The theme park was packed with families and couples and people, in general, and it just made me want to puke. I can see from my side that Piper's smile was from ear to ear, like she was a child who was about to be given her first doll. She seemed excited about all of this.

"I haven't been here in ages. Oh wow, everything's still the same," Piper chimed. She turned to me and asked, "So where do we start?"

I shrugged in return. "It's up to you." I can sense she can feel the disinterest in my voice.

"You haven't been here yet, have you?" she asked me.

"You're right about that," I answered back, idly scanning the theme park. I haven't been here for the past twelve years of my stay here in Massachusetts.

I felt Piper tugging the sleeve of my sweatshirt. "C'mon, I'll show you around."

It was quite cold but a trickle of sweat slid down my forehead. I was surprised when Piper held my sleeve.

"Um..."

We were walking briskly, her hand still on my sleeve. Tiny beads of sweat began to multiply. I wasn't used to her holding any part of me. What the hell was happening?

"Let's start here?" I looked up and saw the sign Rocket Fury. It was a roller coaster ride.

I raised a brow. "You're into this? I was expecting you'd prefer riding a carousel."