3 • The Worst Conversation Ever

BEAU • [12:20 p.m.]

So I survived the first half of Monday, and so far, so good. I just had an English class with Piper but I didn't bother to interact with her yet. Plus, English class was always a bore and required no interaction at all—we did nothing but read books and report.

I haven't met up with Callista yet, and I didn't even know if I should tell her about this. Should I? She was the kind of girl that would gladly pay my debt to Pascal. But I don't really use girls and their money like that.

I might as well just keep it to Lucas and myself.

"So," Lucas started, taking a large bite off from his sandwich. "When are you planning to talk to Piper?" A tomato slid from between the sandwich, and landed on his lap.

Lucas may be a smooth-talking charmer to the ladies just like me, but he was sloppy as hell. How can anyone not be turned off by that?

I rolled my eyes in return. I could see Piper in the farthest corner of the cafeteria alone, writing in her notebook. The cafeteria was packed and loud, and it seemed to be she was silencing it with her earphones.

I almost got up from the lunch table but quickly sat back down, deliberating whether or not I should walk up to her and start talking to her.

My feet couldn't move.

If I approached her here in a public place, people would start to notice.

"What is Beau trying to do?"

"Is he going to Piper's table?"

"OMG, does he like her? This is so unbelievable."

All the thoughts were coming into me like a whirlwind. If I didn't do anything, Pascal was going to know anytime soon, and I was going to have a beating. And my face would be swollen and— 

"Bro, I have a plan." I felt Lucas's hand landed on my shoulder. I turned to him and saw him licking his other set of fingers. "By the way, this sandwich is tasty. Want some? It has roasted lamb chops."

I made a disgusted face and removed Lucas's hand on my shoulder. "I'm allergic to meat, remember?" I informed him.

Why yes. I, Beau Huntley, no matter what people say that I have a "killer body" and think that I can "eat whatever I want" and "not get an inch of flab", was allergic to meat, and I would usually get a skin rash because of it. I've been allergic ever since I was a child, and now I eat nothing but vegetables, wheat, rice, and soy.

And how did I maintain the said killer body? I swam, worked out a lot, took supplements, any sort of physical activity, I try myself to be involved with. That was how I stay in shape.

I know...what an unfortunate digestive system.

"Oh yeah, sorry." Lucas apologized.

"So that plan you say? Spit it out," I asked him impatiently. I didn't normally trust him when it came to formulating plans, but he was my best friend and if he told me to cut the blue wire instead of the red wire of a ticking bomb, I might just go ahead and do it and we would both die together.

Because it was most likely the wrong wire.

"Don't make yourself likeable." Lucas started suggesting.

I eyed him. What does that mean? "Can you like, fucking continue?" I demanded.

"All right, all right. Chill." Lucas chuckled.

"Piper has this crush on you, right? Well then, keep sticking to Pascal's deal; make friends with her and all that, but as days go by, gradually give her the wrong impression of you. And she'll just wonder why she had a crush on you in the first place, and when you do ask her out for prom, she'll even end up saying no to you."