28 • The Worst Graduation Ever (Not Really)

BEAU  [7:48 a.m.]

Piper and I just exchanged occasional glances for the next two days of our graduation practice, and we both felt ill at ease just by those glances.

The same went to Callista, but we conversed at least once on those days and just as she said, it was like we were never in a relationship in the first place. At the back of my mind, I commended her for handling the post-breakup professionally.

"Beau? Dear, breakfast is ready," my mom said, knocking on my door. I told her that I will be going down in a minute, and I heard her feet shuffling down the stairs. I tossed my phone back on my bed, still debating whether or not I should reply back to Piper's texts that she sent two days ago. It was silly how I was making a big deal out of it.

I took a dirty sweatshirt from my laundry and lazily wore it as I went down the stairs and straight to the dining area. Dad was busy highlighting words from his huge-ass book and Mom just placed a hot pot of mushroom stroganoff and coconut rice at the table.

The aroma was inviting. It was my favorite meal of all-time, after all.

"Greg, put away your book, please," Mom reprimanded, as my dad immediately obliged. She gestured me to sit down and to start eating. I shook my head and pushed the meal away from me.

"I'm sorry Mom, but I'm not really that hungry." As soon as I heard the noisy utensils stopped from clinking, I looked up and saw my parents staring at me with a puzzled look on their faces.

My dad was the first to speak. "Did you actually refuse to eat your mushroom stroganoff—that's the stroganoff, son."

I purposely didn't reply as I sat silent on the dining chair. No words were passing my lips. 

"Is this about Piper?" Dad casually asked as he took a bite of his French toast.

I immediately looked up, eyebrows scrunched. "What made you say that?"

He rolled his eyes, chuckling. "You've done this before—twice, even. I remember you two bickering over something, and when we had your favorite meal for dinner, you didn't take not even a single bite."

I huffed. That was a decade ago. Was I that obvious?

Mom broke the silence again. "So is it—"

"Yes, god."

Mom plastered a weird smile, placing her elbow on the table as she rested her hand below her chin. "We're listening."

"You don't have to." I'm not really the type of guy who would pour my sentiments to my parents. I usually just talk to Lucas or Mei. Plus, the main reason why Mom and Dad wanted to pry into my personal life was because Piper was involved.

I scratched the back of my head and let out a big sigh. I couldn't mask my look of annoyance but then I realized that they weren't going to touch their food in the next few minutes if I didn't speak up. My parents would not let this slip.

"Okay, in a nutshell? We're not friends anymore."

Mom asked, perplexed. "How come?"

"Shitty things happened. That's it."

Dad first took a sip of his coffee before he turned to me. "Son, we don't know what happened between the two of you, and I know you don't want to discuss it with us any further, but rest assured that everything will be alright. Talk to her after your graduation, okay? That is an order."

"Yeah, whatever."

"Dear, it's your last day in high school. Make it a memorable one, not only to you but to Piper. Besides, you've known each other since you were kids. Old friends are there to stay," Mom added, reaching out for my hand. Her grip was firm, just like how I wish her words were as well.