8.2 • The Worst Dinner Ever

BEAU • [6:25 p.m.]

"I hope you don't mind having an early dinner tonight Beau," Hal said, wolfing down his food as if it was the last dish on earth. "I haven't eaten lunch yet since I got home."

I shook my head, replying that it wasn't a bother at all. What bothered me was Pascal glaring intently across me, and if looks could kill, I would be dead by now. He obviously disliked my presence tonight.

"Eat up, Beau. I cooked that especially for you," Pascal urged, with a hint of acid in his voice.

"It's just soba noodles with tofu and vegetables, no meat in it at all," Piper mentioned, and took another bite, clueless of the heat between Pascal and I.

"Like what my sister said, Beau. It's not that I laced that with poison or anything." Pascal's smile curled up in a mischievous grin, and I was starting to mentally freak out.

How did I become friends with the Griffin siblings in the first place again? Pascal hated my guts, and Piper loved it. I tried not to think about it too much and took a mouthful of the soba noodles and started chewing.

Aw, man. It was so delicious. Damn it, Pascal was one hell of a great cook too. Was there something this guy couldn't do?

Hal started to speak up, breaking the tension in the dining table. "So Beau, how're you and Piper doing in school?" He put his elbows on the table, resting his chin on his hands.

Both Piper and I exchanged quick glances, neither of us unable to speak up. Should I sugar-coat my answer? Could Piper stretch the truth?

"We're...alright, dad. We actually had lunch together last week at the pier. It's all good." Piper answered. I nodded uneasily in return, Pascal's daunting eyes still fixed at me.

"That's good to know! Oh, how about college, do you have any thoughts on that?"

"I already got accepted in NYU. I was offered a swimming scholarship." Hal and Piper had their mouths gaped open while Pascal made a mocking frown face.

"Congratulations to you, Beau! That's a pretty sweet deal. Maybe you and Piper could share a place over there in New York?" Hal suggested. I was beyond oblivious to what he was talking about.

"I uh, don't know what you mean by that."

"Piper got accepted in Columbia," Pascal mentioned, crossing his arms. He then shifted his eyes to Piper, grinning proudly. I looked at Piper, her head bent down but her cheeks were obviously flaring up.

Damn, Ivy League siblings.

I couldn't believe this. I've always thought that either Lucas or Callista will be joining me in NYU, but Lucas opted for MIT, and Callista ultimately chose Brown, her dream school. I was assuming Piper and I will never see each other after graduation, but then this news broke out that she will be studying in Columbia, just half an hour drive from my school. Now we'll be closer than ever, again.

I want to flip the table right then and there but I have to hide my displeased reaction.

I patted her awkwardly on the back. "Congratulations, I guess we'll see each other in New York, then?" Piper suddenly stood up from her seat right after my hand made contact with her back.

"Pipes, why are you turning red?" Hal asked.

"Nothing Dad, it's kind of hot in here. Let me um, just," she then swiped her plate out from the table. "...take my plate. Thanks for dinner, everyone. It's getting late; we have to do the project already. Meet you in my room, Beau." Then with that, Piper dashed to the kitchen, leaving the three of us puzzled.