17 • The Worst Hangover Ever

BEAU  [3:28 p.m.]

Forty nine, fifty. Fifty one, fifty two...

I had at least two more minutes until my last period is over. I've been tapping my pen on my desk and bouncing my knee. I was distracted. I was antsy. I wanted to get out of here and visit Piper.

She didn't come to school today. I glanced at her table during first period and saw that her table was vacant. That was when I assumed that she skipped class. She must've had a nasty hangover. It was probably her first hangover in her life, too.

Last night came in as a shock to me when I heard Michael shouted at the kitchen that "Palmer" was knocked out cold. When I rushed to the scene and saw Piper's body on the ground, my head and my heart started to throb. People were scrambling towards the room and I didn't hesitate to bend down to help her up.

I shouted at Lucas and told him to start his car, as I carried Piper out to the kitchen. I was debating whether or not we take her to the hospital, but Lucas opted to go straight to her house.

I've never shouted so many profanities in my life since last night.

As the bell rang and broke my reverie, I dashed right outside the classroom and went straight to the student parking lot towards my car.

  — — —   

[3:43 p.m.]

I rang the Griffin's doorbell hoping Piper would open it.

"Oh, shit." I muttered under my breath at how insensitive that sounded. I bet she was still resting soundly in her room. I didn't see Pascal's jeep around so I guess no one would answer the door for me.

Much to my dismay, I turned around and was about to go back to my car when I heard the door creaked open.

"Abby," I said.

"Beau," she replied back, her hand gripped firmly at the doorknob.

Good thing the neighborhood didn't complain about the loud voices of Lucas and I last night, but we were lucky enough that we caught Abby's attention next door. She was just as nervous as we both are, but Abby was such a big help. If it weren't for her, we wouldn't have access inside Piper's residence, since we didn't know where Piper hid their house keys. Fortunately enough, the Griffins trusted Abby to tell her in case of an emergency.

"What are you doing here?"

"Helping a friend," she told me, folding her arms. "I just came right after school. And you?" she asked, arching a brow.

"Let me see her—" I insisted, as Abby stopped me with the palm of her hand.

"Piper's not expecting anyone right now."

I released a sharp sigh and scratched the back of my head furiously. "Can I just please talk to her?"

She narrowed her eyes at me, shaking her head in disappointment. "This is all your fault. Besides, Pascal's on his way back, he just bought some medicine. You wouldn't want to mess with Piper's older brother, and you know that."

I rolled my eyes, as if that was news to me. "Oh I'm already involved in a mess with him, alright. Now could you let me in?"

Abby sneered at me one more time before she fully opened the door. "Enter at your own risk."

I zoomed straight pass her and dashed to the stairs towards Piper's room. After I let out an exhale, I rapped at her door three times before I got an answer.