25 • The Worst Prom Date Ever

BEAU [12:00 p.m.]

Piper didn't attend school today, and I think there were just two things as to why she was absent.

A.) She was sick, or

B.) She didn't want to see my face.

It was most probably the latter. During prom, I left her over thirty calls and over twenty text messages asking how she was or if we could talk everything out, and she didn't reply to any of it. In my string of past relationships, I have never left that huge amount of calls and texts, not even to Callista.

Piper will probably hurl a book to my face if we see each other again. Why wouldn't she? 

I was the worst prom date ever, and I deserved it.

"I have a meeting with the student council. See you in thirty?" Callista said, giving me a peck on the cheek. For the whole day, I was just going with the flow of things. The last class of the day was over and I didn't even notice it.

I replied, my thoughts still up in the clouds. "Uh, okay. I'll just text you or something."

I watched her disappear from the sea of students in the hallway. I clutched the strap of my backpack tighter and turned around, bumping into Lucas. I asked him if we could go somewhere where it was less infested with people, and he suggested hanging outside the football field by the bleachers.

Feeling like something was off with me, Lucas asked how I was. I gave him a vague, one-shouldered shrug.

Lucas playfully nudged me in the arm. "Are you still bummed about last night? You were hailed prom king, dude!"

"So what. It didn't change the fact that Piper wasn't there." And it was true. I was crowned as the prom king but I wasn't ecstatic at all. During the coronation program, my eyes were still busy scanning the crowd, with no Piper in sight. My frustration grew, and I even hesitated to take the crow; even planned on giving it to someone else and just leave.

But Callista was hailed prom queen, and she was sending me glares as a signal for us to take the prom king and queen dance.

Everything just wasn't right. It felt put-on, it felt forced. During the dance, Callista whispered to me that she rigged her nomination, much to my chagrin. Once again, the situation was to her advantage. The spotlight was killing me, and I needed a dose of something, someone genuine.

"Callista just pissed me off last night," I started, tossing my backpack towards the bleachers. The football field was almost empty, just around three guys playing toss in the open field. "Why couldn't she just be supportive? I was just trying to be a friend to someone, and she went all mental to me."

"That's because she's your responsibility, dude. Not Piper," Lucas started, settling down beside me. I looked at him, confused.

Lucas chuckled, further clarifying his point. "Look. You could've taken Piper elsewhere, if salvaging your friendship was your concern."

I gave him a face that told him to carry on. He sighed and shook his head one more time, clapping his hand on my back.

"Prom is one of a girl's fantasies, Beau. I know I'm being a devil's advocate here but I think there's a good reason why Callista went all prom-zilla over you."

I was silent. A part of me was agreeing to what Lucas told me, but I still begged to differ. If Callista didn't put any meaning behind my completely platonic relationship with Piper, then she never would've had a reason to be mad at me.

"Unless, you know, you actually came to like Piper," Lucas quipped, an impish grin spreading across his face.

I didn't answer him for what seemed like the longest time. What did he mean by "like"—as a friend, or something more? Even I had no clue. I was torn apart. I needed a sign—anything that would tell me how I really felt about Piper.