16 • The Worst House Party Ever

BEAU [8:02 p.m.]

"When I said that "We'll pick you up", I meant to say that using your car. Why are we bringing mine again?" Lucas groaned from the driver's seat.

"Because, you have a higher alcohol tolerance than me," I said. "I'm planning on drinking and I can't drive tonight."

I texted Piper that Lucas and I were already waiting for her in front of her house. I could've brought my car, but Diane's party was being held on a Sunday night—the same night that I crashed Pascal's jeep last month, and I was way too traumatized now. Just recalling the accident made me shudder.

A few moments later, I surprisingly heard Lucas wolf-whistled, snapping me from my thoughts.

"What was that about?" I asked, looking weirdly at Lucas. He pointed towards Piper's house as I followed his finger.

It took me around a second or two to register what I was seeing behind the passenger's window. From a distance, an auburn-haired girl wearing a yellow, fitted, sleeveless top in contrast with her dark skinny jeans was walking towards the car, the sound of her black ankle boots clicking against the ground growing louder as she drew nearer.

I did another check because it felt like my eyes were playing tricks on me. What I was seeing was a totally different Piper.

Heck, I was beginning to wonder if we just picked up Piper's hotter twin sister.

"Hello," she greeted shyly, opening the back door and sliding in. Lucas and I turned around, trailing our eyes up and down to Piper. "I uh, look okay for the party, right?" she asked, fidgeting with her clothes.

I was too stunned to speak, so I turned my head back to my seat and let Lucas do all the talking. "You look fine! I didn't know you can dress like that!" he exclaimed, giving her a thumbs up. Lucas turned the engine back on and drove away.

"I rarely dress like this. It's actually making me feel uncomfortable," she spoke. I leaned my elbow against the window, biting my thumb.

No Piper, you were making me feel uncomfortable.

Lucas's mouth stretched wider into a grin. "Oh, you'll fit in, alright." He looked to his rear view mirror and raised a brow. "What's that you're holding?"

"Oh, it's a present for Diane. Wait, where are yours?"

"We don't have one," Lucas replied as he signaled his blinker to the left.

Piper asked in a confused tone. "I thought this was Diane's party."

We couldn't help but chuckle. Piper still remained naïve as ever. She probably had never been to a house party, even though her own brother was the king of house parties before and would host one every single month.

Lucas clarified the confusion. "It is, Piper, but there's no birthday party. It's just a regular high school house party."

I heard Piper smacked her forehead. "Aww, gravy. I misunderstood." I soon felt her body shifting towards me. "By the way Beau, where's Callista?"

Well, Diane and Callista weren't exactly in good terms at the moment. Both of them were from the tennis team, and Diane was pretty pissed off when she learned that she wasn't chosen to represent our school in a tennis match against our ultimate rival school, Kramerton High. 

She was been eyeing this girl from Kramerton for months now, yet unfortunately for her, Callista was Hartsmith High's final decision.

What added fuel to the fire was Callista rubbed it in Diane's face.