14 • The Worst Concert Ever (Not Really)

BEAU • [12:27 p.m.]

"Okay bro, I wanted to lie but uh, this is actually pretty good," said Lucas after I forced him to taste the lemon square cake that I just brought.

"Yeah, I know. I mean who knew I had it in me as well?" I replied, slapping my chest with pride. I should probably set up my own bakeshop as well—I just need some training on how to make a cake appear appetizing.

I've never really had any sheer interest nor faith in me when it came to baking, and actually it had pretty much been at the bottom of my to-do list. I mean, my sister was already a baking legend here in Alcovix, and I was pretty good at almost everything else, so why bother trying to learn it, right?

Yet I never knew I would make one—and unexpectedly for someone. As much as the cake that I gave Piper lacked this "strong, aesthetic appeal," she didn't hesitate to eat it. She even took another bite before she commended my cake.

Due to that successful attempt at satisfying the Griffin's taste buds from last night's mini-party, I decided to make another yet smaller batch of lemon square cake this morning to give to Lucas and Callista after we planned to hang out in Flinnway's food court this afternoon.

As Lucas was busy eating the cake (really, he ate almost anything,) I heard some clacking of heels that was nearing behind me. I turned around and see Callista coming towards us, striding like she was a runway model from some fashion show and grabbing all the people's attention at the food court.

She sure does know how to make an entrance, I thought.

"Sorry for being late guys, my driver was a slowpoke," she apologized, pulling her shades up to her head and sat down beside me.

"I could've picked you up, Callista."

"I would want you to, but I was busy drafting my dad's speeches," she said.

You see, both her siblings had no desire in entering the political world, but Callista did, and she was even attending to Brown as a Political Science major. Her older sister Savannah, is a TV actress back in Los Angeles, and her younger sister Natalia is—well, let's just say she was this rebellious, little rogue. 

I knew that Callista was all up for it, dominating the world and all that, but I hope she could cut herself some slack.

In return though, I just simply nodded to her, as if I knew that writing political speeches was an everyday thing for her.

"Drive me home later, then?" she requested, as I nodded for the second time. She smiled at me and kissed my cheek. Callista gazed her eyes to Lucas, who was sitting across her. She pointed at the cake he was eating and asked, "What is that?"

Lucas slid the untouched plate of cake I have prepared to Callista. "It's a lemon square cake, you should try it!"

The creases of Callista's forehead wrinkled, poking the cake as if it was some specimen from another planet. She eventually recoiled in disgust. Not that I wasn't anticipating it, but it was overly-exaggerated. "Ew. Who made this?"

And it was as if last night's scene was reincarnated today, I raised my hand sheepishly. "I did, but it tastes good, trust me. It just doesn't look good—I'm working in that. Plus, I made it for you."

Callista raised a brow, like she couldn't believe what she heard. "So you bake now? That's quite...funny."

She pushed the plate away and stood up. "Thanks for the cake Beau, but I'm going to buy myself some real food. I'll come back in a bit," and off she disappeared in the food court.