18 • The Worst Accident Ever

BEAU [3:42 p.m.]

"Your aunt won the lottery?!" Lucas screamed in the hallway, and I immediately told him to shush it. Then again, I was just as shocked as he was.

"Yes, she did. I can't even believe it myself!"

"I don't get it, why did she share her winnings to you and Mei?" Lucas asked in disbelief.

Apparently, the winning numbers were 9-11-12-24-48. Aunt Lorraine betted her lottery ticket using the combination of the birth dates of Mei and I, the last number being her age.

After she learned that she actually won the lottery—and fifty thousand dollars at that, she planned on spending it by renovating her already shabby-looking house.

Before that, she immediately sent checks for both Mei and I as a thank you gift for "indirectly helping her win the lottery" because our "birth dates are magical numbers".

Lucas patted me on the back, chuckling. "Your aunt's a blessing in disguise, bro." He nudged me in the shoulder, wiggling his eyebrows. "Y'know what this means, right?"

I grinned back. "I can pay for the car!"

"Pascal can kiss your ass now!" Lucas exclaimed, and I laughed out loud, earning some amused stares and a couple of giggles from some students in the hallway.

After realizing how loud we were, we both toned it down a notch. "Speaking of the Griffins, now that you're out of the deal for good, you don't have to force yourself to ask Piper to prom!" Lucas whispered, smiling from ear to ear.

"What—oh, yeah." I forgot about that. I felt relieved, but I felt bad at the same time.

"I mean, I'd still want to take her so..." I trailed off, scratching the back of my head. Lucas rolled his eyes, telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about.

Speaking of Piper, I tilted my head to the side and noticed her walking to our direction—with a cast on her left foot.

People were staring at her, and some started to whisper and snicker. I subtly glowered at them and some took noticed, as I heard the snickering died down.

"Um, hi." She greeted us, ignoring the people around her. She was wearing another baggy knitted sweatshirt but this time I didn't care what it looked like to her anymore. It was way better than what she wore at the party, anyway.

"Uh, hey, what happened?" Lucas asked, pointing at her foot.

"I lost my footing when I went down the stairs yesterday," she said, shrugging her shoulders. "I guess the hangover still caught me back then."

I mentally cursed. I hate it when she was clumsy. She made me recall the time when we used to climb this big tree from our backyard once when we were younger, and she also lost her footing because she was distracted by a butterfly that was flying above her. She fell five feet to the ground and was in the hospital for a week. 

I didn't sleep properly for a week.

"How bad is it?" I asked. Honestly, I was concerned.

She looked down at her foot and sighed. "It stings a little, but it's not that bad. In fact, I don't really need a cast boot; it's just that my overly concerned brother begged to differ. He even discussed it with the doctor."

I rolled my eyes. Pascal was babying Piper too much—he bought her a brand new bike, gave her expensive tickets for her birthday and now requested for a cast boot in the hospital even though Piper said it was completely unnecessary.