15 • The Worst Bro Talk Ever

BEAU  [9:47 a.m.]

Splash.

I dived right into the pool, feeling more alive as soon as my body hit the glistening, cold, water.

I instantly started with some powerful strokes, kicking my feet faster as I progressed towards the very end of the pool. It was such a perfect day to swim at our backyard pool on a warm Sunday morning that I decided to invite Lucas to join me and bask under the sun. Being alone at home could be such a bore sometimes, but one friend was just enough for me to keep me company for today.

After emerging from the chlorinated water, I was greeted by Lucas who was sitting by the edge. 

"Spill," he said.

"Spill what?" I asked, pretending like I didn't know what he was talking about.

Lucas rolled his eyes as he kicked water on my face. "Spill the drink—oh you fucking know what I meant!"

"Is this about the concert last night?"

"The concert and Piper last night," he corrected.

I sighed, shaking my wet head. I wanted to evade his question but I also wanted him to know that I didn't ditch her. That I actually hung out with her—that I actually had fun with her.

"I can't."

Lucas raised a brow. "What do you mean you can't? Just tell me dude—"

I cut him off. "No. What I meant was I can't do this anymore. Maybe I don't want her to hate me."

He kicked water on my face again. "Bro, what are you talking about? What about prom with Callista?"

"She'll understand. I'll try to talk to her. It's not like I didn't take her to junior prom. Or last year's winter formal. Callista and I pair up at almost anything."

"But this is the prom of all proms, bro! It's the last prom of our high school year, and you'll blow it off by taking her," said Lucas, with a hint of distaste.

"What do you mean by her?"

"You know what I mean. The school's weirdo, the bottom of the social ladder...do you get me?"

"She's not that weird."

Lucas huffed. "Look, she's in my Economics class, right? One time we were partnered together for an activity, and right in the middle of writing down our answers, she randomly asked me why a 'doorknob is called a doorknob, not a marshmallow'. What the hell do I answer to that?"

I chuckled as I raised myself out from the pool and sat beside Lucas. "That's actually something you should think about."

Lucas gave me a weird look. "No, it's strange and out of the blue. And why are you defending her? She has no friends for a reason."

"But she was my friend for a reason, too."

His reaction suddenly dropped. "Oh, yeah." He shook his head as he sent me a questioning look. "Sorry. Why the sudden change of heart, bro?"

"Her brother told me that Piper has this crush on me."

He rolled his eyes. "As if Hartsmith High's female population don't."

"And it'll be cool if I could give Piper a night she'll remember, you know?" I added.

"You're just saying that because of what happened last night, right?" Lucas mentioned, as I didn't say a word.

Maybe? Last night was different. Sure, I was ecstatic back in that concert, but her company amplified that feeling—and that was just one night. One freakin' night.