10 • The Worst Movie Ever

PIPER • [11:36 a.m.]

I've been waiting for Beau for over thirty minutes already. How could he take so long in the rest room? I started to worry—what if he got lost and have been kidnapped or something?

I shook my head at that scary thought. That was impossible. He was capable of taking care of himself.

I've been uncomfortably sitting at the bench for far too long so I finally decided to stand up and go look for Beau at the restroom.

I was about to head on when my phone vibrated from my pocket. I checked the sender and my heart kind of skipped a beat. It was Beau! Finally, he texted.

My smiled turned into an unhappy reaction

My smiled turned into an unhappy reaction. I read it again, hoping I read it wrong.

I swallowed hard.

It wasn't wrong.

And just like that, Beau was gone.

To be honest, it really was not okay, but a part of me felt that it was my fault

To be honest, it really was not okay, but a part of me felt that it was my fault. I never should've invited him to ride at that roller coaster if I knew beforehand that he easily got nauseated. Well, nice job, Piper. You ruined your supposed-to-be perfect day with your crush. This was an awesome opportunity, and you kind of blew it.

I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry, I told myself repetitively until it eventually faded in my head. I exited the carnival with my head down low and went straight to my bike.

I decided to go home, hoping dad or Pascal could be there to cheer me up.

— — —  

[11:58 a.m.]

The front door opened and I was welcomed by Pascal with a thick book in his hand and a confused expression on his face.

"Piper? What the heck? Why are you home already?" he asked. I explained to him about Beau's unfortunate situation and he had to head home to get some rest. He asked me more questions but I told him not to mention it anymore.