29 • The Worst Goodbyes Ever

BEAU  [9:57 a.m.]

"Mei...Mei...Mei," My sister finally let me go from her really stifling hug. I took a deep breath and sent her a death glare. Her hugs always seemed to make a way to cripple my ribs.

"I'm sorry! I just can't believe you'll be gone for New York already!" Mei said, pushing back the tears.

Despite that my sister annoyed me to no end, I will actually miss her the most here in Massachusetts. Back when she left the Huntley household to explore the world, it took me weeks just to get used to living inside the house with no one to seriously talk to and at the same time bicker with. Now that I was the one who was moving out—and miles away at that, I knew that life for the both of us wouldn't be the same again.

Despite Mei's over-the-top perkiness, clinginess, and overreaction to almost everything, her constant optimism in life was something I would always be searching for.

I rolled my eyes and tried to appear like it wasn't a big deal for me. "Me too. I can't imagine living in New York without your lemon squares."

Mei jokingly scoffed, waving a hand at me. "I know, which was why I baked seven dozens of those for you today. I already placed the boxes at the back of your brand new car."

I laughed as I hugged her one last time. Mei was also in shock when she learned that our dad's precious car would be mine. We both weren't expecting it at all.

Also, I'll probably consume all of those lemon squares in a day.

I turned around and saw my mom with an excited look on her face. Unlike my sister, Mom wasn't all that emotional—or she was just good at not displaying it.

"Look at you," My mom said, fixing the collar of my shirt. "All ready to conquer college."

"I'll make you all proud, okay? I'll win my first collegiate swimming tournament for you guys, carve that in stone."

My mom chuckled after I said that. "We know too well you can bring home the medal, but what I want you to bring are aces on your academics, okay? And lessen the parties, please. Decline the students who will recruit you to a fraternity. Join a book club instead."

"Yeah, yeah, Mom," I waved her off. I knew that she was joking around, but I actually took her words to heart, especially about the parties.

I ended up with a smashed vehicle because of it.

Mom smiled and cupped my face, planting a soft kiss on my forehead.

"Son, are you all set?" I turned around and saw my dad waiting by the driver's side of the car. I looked at my mom and my sister, giving them a final nod, before heading towards the passenger seat.

I was all set.

  — — — 

[12:11 p.m.]

I was just two hours away from my future home. I was quite nervous. Sure, I have lived in France for a couple of years, and I was sent to different states for numerous swimming tournaments, but this was different. I wouldn't be going home with my parents to greet me and to ask me how my day went. I wouldn't be able to drive up to my sister's bakery and eat as many lemon squares as I could. I wouldn't be attending school with Lucas or even Callista by my side anymore.

My thoughts were rattled by my dad asking if I had candy with me.

I shook my head. "Uh, yeah, actually. I have mint inside my backpack."

The Worst Prom Date EverOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara