12 • The Worst People Ever

BEAU • [4:05 p.m.]  

"I actually felt guilty about it."

Lucas slapped me hard on the chest. Well I sure as hell wasn't expecting that! "What did you do that for, bro?" I began soothing my chest, as he shook his head negatively as a reply.

"Why will you feel guilty about it? The goal is to make her hate you before prom, am I right?" He reminded me.

I rested my elbow on the back of my chair, releasing a long sigh. "I guess so."

As Mei unnecessarily needed company for Pascal's arrival, I decided to drag Lucas along with me. He declined at first, but I told him I'd treat him for a slice of Mei's chocolate cake in return, and he still said no. I added a tall vanilla shake to the side and he eventually agreed, because that was how you persuade Lucas, ladies and gentlemen—through food, plus a drink. It was the killer combo.

"I skipped Judo training for this—fucking worth it." He took another huge bite from his chocolate cake as he sipped from his shake right after. And mind you, Mei's serving sizes were ginormous.

Lucas, you pig.

"Anyway, dude. Accident or not, what you did was a letdown for Piper, and that's kind of like the plan." Lucas lifted his forefinger. "By the way, pepper instead of sugar? Your eyes are so shitty you need a pair of glasses."

"Ohmygod you guys, Pascal texted!" We heard Mei yelled as she scrambled towards our table. She slightly bent down as she held her phone in front of us to read the message. "Look!"

"That's his first text to me in a million years! I just might faint

"That's his first text to me in a million years! I just might faint." That would make the two of us if Pascal called you back when I crashed Dad's car.

"What should my reply be? Should it be like, "Sure thing!" Or, or, "Okay, whatever," Mei suggested, a little too eagerly.

Lucas patted her on the back, pretending as if he was actually concerned. "Just be yourself, Mei."

I just simply nodded in return. Mei then typed her reply quickly.