The Falcon & The Winter Soldier: Chapter 19

The next morning Vanessa woke up even more tired than before. She's only gotten a few more hours of sleep, being awakened every few hours. After the third time, she just laid in bed and stared at the ceiling. It was only after hearing the shuffling outside of her door that she finally got out of bed. As soon as she opened the door she was hit with the amazing smell of what she assumed was French Toast. "You know if you are going to make me food every day, you are more than welcomed to stay here forever," Vanessa said taking a bite of a piece of toast.

"So I have some news," Bucky said, passing a plate of food to Vanessa, "I am leaving this afternoon. There is something that I need to take care of." "You know for a moment I forgot that we still have to deal with the Flag Smashers. But, thank you for being there for me." "It really was nothing. I'm just glad to be of use." Vanessa looked at him with a sad expression, before she could answer he turned around.

Vanessa left Bucky to pack his things for his trip. She walked over to the small study room where she had stored everything that belonged to Dabria. In all these years she couldn't bring herself to throw any of her things away. The woman had so many things that seemed to be from another time. Vanessa took a box from the shelf and dusted it off. Inside were about thirty different vinyls.

Vanessa walked out of the study room with a single vinyl in her hand. "What do you have there?" Bucky asked. "A record." "Yes, I can see that. I meant what's it for?" "I remembered that I had these in storage and I just thought you might enjoy them," Vanessa says placing the needle down on the vinyl. It took a couple of seconds before they started hearing the music. Vanessa looked up towards Bucky, who had a small smile of recognition. Bucky extends his hand towards Vanessa. Vanessa looks down at it, then up to him, and shakes her head. "Oh no. I don't slow dance or more like don't know how to slow dance." "It's okay, I do."

Slowly Vanessa places her hand in Buckys. He leads her to the center of the living room. His right hand meets her left, while his left one is gently placed around her waist. "I don't know how to," Vanessa tells him. "It's okay, just follow my lead." He begins to lead and sway to the rhythm of the music, showing her how easy it is. As Vanessa begins to get the hang of the movements she looks up from her feet to look at him. She finds that he is already looking down at her. They stare into each other's eyes for a moment as they continue to move to the rhythm of the music.

The music fades into the background, Bucky slowly stopped dancing. He lets go of Vanessa's hands and gently tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. His hand lingers on her face for a bit. Bucky leans down towards her. "Can I kiss you?" He asks, holding his breath waiting for her answer. Vanessa doesn't answer him, instead, she grabs him by the loops of his jeans and pulls him down towards her.

Bucky cupped Vanessa's face and pressed his lips gently against her. Vanessa stands on her tiptoes and wraps her arms around his waist. The kiss is soft but passionate. Neither of them wanting to let go of each other even though they've run out of air. Vanessa pulled back for an instant, just to get a lungful of air, then moved right back in. Bucky moved his hand away from Vanessa's hair and placed it on her back, if possible bringing her closer.

After a few more seconds Bucky pulls back and leans his forehead against hers. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that for," he tells her. "Why hadn't you?" "Didn't think you feel the same way." Vanessa lets out a small chuckle and pulls back to look Bucky in the eyes. "Bunch of idiots we both are then, cause I've been holding back from even flirting with you," she says. "Wait, why?" "Why I didn't flirt with you?" Vanessa asks.

Bucky nods, surprised at what he's hearing. "Because I didn't know if you were ready for that. You'd just come out of a really bad situation. You were and still are recovering from that. I didn't want to push you into something you weren't ready for" Vanessa explains. "Well, I just might be. And if you'd do me the honor I'd like to take you on a date." "Well, I would really like that" Vanessa answers. Bucky looks at Vanessa with a smile that lights up his eyes. He tries very hard not to kiss her again, but ultimately fails when she pulls him down by his shirt.

»»——————¤-------------««

After saying goodbye to each other, Bucky went on his way. Vanessa was left alone in her apartment with nothing to do. As much as she wanted to get a flight to Louisiana right away, there was still something that she needed to do. Talk to her biological mother. Not because she wanted to, no but because she needed to. For her own sake and sanity.

Vanessa walked over to the kitchen and looked in all the drawers, searching for a candle. When she finally found one, she took it to the living room. She sat on the floor with the candle in front of her. Like the last time she'd done this, her palms were facing the ceiling. Her eyes closed and her mind focused and the person she'd wished to see.

The candle in front of her ignited with a bright blue flame. As she opened her eyes she saw the familiar blue tint that all ghosts had. In front of her was the woman she once called mother. "Regresaste" (You came back) she said. Vanessa ignored the woman's statement and instead said, "Fui a visitarlos" (I went to visit them). No need to explain who they were.

Vanessa walked around and continued talking, "Para eso querías qué los fuera a visitar? Para que me digieran que estoy loca o que soy una mala persona?" (Is that why you wanted me to go visit them? So they could walk me crazy or tell me what a bad person I am?). "Mija yo no sabía que te iban a tratar así" (I didn't know they were going to treat you like that).

Vanessa shook her head in disbelief. "Es tu culpa sabes. Que estés aquí" (it's your fault you know. That you're here) Vanessa said motioning the void around her. She finally stopped in front of the woman, wanting to finish this as fast as possible. "Te perdono. No porque te lo mereces, pero porque prefiero tener mi conciencia limpia" (I forgive you. Not because you deserve it, but because I prefer to not have a guilty conscience). "Much as gracias mi amor" (Thank you mi love) the woman said moving forward to give Vanessa a hug.

Vanessa moved away from the woman, "No me toques. Yo te perdono, pero yo no soy la única que te tenia que perdonar. Cuando fui a visitarlos, noté que le mentiste a todos. Me hiciste a mi la mala del cuento. Y mis hermanos nunca sabrán lo que en realidad sucedió. Y ellos lla no te podrán perdonar. Haci que hasta nunca, madre" (Don't touch me. I forgive you, but I'm not the only one who needs to forgive you. When I went to vista them, I realized that you lied to all of them. You made me the bad guy. My sibling will never know the truth. And they will never get the chance to forgive you. So goodbye mother, see you never) Vanessa said with a bit of bitterness in the word 'mother.' As the flame in the candle blew out, the last words that Vanessa heard were "Te odió" (I hate you). 

As she opened her eyes, she let out a shaky breath and leaned back against the couch. Vanessa stared straight ahead trying to hold everything in. Pretending that it didn't hurt, but in the end, the tears started to flow without her begin able to stop. And so she sat on the floor of her apartment, crying, trying to figure out what she had done wrong to deserve everything that happened to her.