The Falcon & The Winter Soldier: Chapter 13

Sam, Bucky, and Vanessa walk through the streets of Riga when Sam received a call from a very agitated Sarah. "She said what? Right. Hold on, hold on. I know, I know. Listen, pack an overnight bag and take the boys" Sam says. "What happened?" Bucky asks. "Karli called Sarah. She threatened my nephews" Sam explains, "Okay. Go somewhere safe. Only pay cash. All right?"

"Tell them they can go to my apartment if they need it. It's located in the middle of the city, always people around. There is a spare key at the bottom of the flower pot. They'll be safe there" Vanessa offers. Through the short time, she's spent with the Wilson she'd grown attached to them and didn't want anything to happen to them. "Let me know when you get there. I know. Look, I love you. I'll never let anything happen to you and the boys, you know that. Okay. Bye," Sam tells Sarah. "Karli wants to meet. She left a contact number. She said come alone" Sam explains to them. "That's not going to happen," Vanessa says leaving no room for argument.

Knowing that there is going to most likely be a fight between the two groups, Sam suggested that they get into their uniform. They quickly walked to the location Karli had given them. "Karli!" Sam yells angrily. The young woman appears on the second floor of the building and they all quickly walk over to her. "You called my sister? That's how we're gonna play this?" Sam asks. "Sam, I would never hurt her. I just wanted to understand you better" she says. She looks over at Vanessa and Bucky, "I see you, um, didn't come alone."

"You have to end this now" Sam tries to reason with her. "I don't wanna hurt you. You're just a tool in the regimes I'm looking to destroy. You're not hiding behind a shield. If I were to kill you, it'd be meaningless. I was gonna ask you to join me. Or do the world a favor and let me go" Karli says. Sam suddenly stops hearing a new voice over comms, "It's Walker."

Bucky jumps down from the second floor down to the first one only to be intercepted by Karli. Vanessa jumps down a little more cautiously and runs out towards the street to try and find Walker. A beep alerts her of a message, when she looks down at it, it's Walker's location. "I hate running," she says to herself as she takes off in the direction.

Vanessa might not have super speed, but she is a fast runner. When she makes it into the building she finds it eerily silent. There is a sudden cold that only she can feel. Letting out a breath, she can almost see it in front of her. "Death is near" Vanessa whispers to herself. "Which way?" She asks a ghost standing in the far corner. The ghost points a shaky finger to her left and Vanessa runs in that direction. Vanessa hears distant fighting noises and runs faster in that direction. 'When did this become my life?' She asks herself, 'running towards danger instead of away from it?'

She enters a room with a glass ceiling and multiple super soldiers fighting Sam and Walker. Vanessa pulls out her two daggers and holds them tightly as one of the super-soldiers comes at her. "You should be dead," he tells her. Vanessa recognizes him as the man who threw her into oncoming traffic. "Yeah, I should be a lot of things" she answers mockingly, "dead, a model, a millionaire." He throws a knife at her just as she slides underneath him and slashes the back of his right leg. He loses his balance a bit but manages to stay standing.

Vanessa tries to once again knock him down, only for him to grab her and throw her against one of the columns. Before she could hit it someone manages to catch her. Vanessa looks back to find Bucky holding her. "Thank you," she says. He gently places her down and nods his head.

Vanessa turns and sees Lemar knocking Karli down to prevent her from killing Walker. He stands up once again, but this time is punched so hard on the chest that he goes flying back into one of the columns. Everything is silent for a second, everyone waiting to see if Lemar is going to get back up. He doesn't. Walker walks up to his friend and tries to wake him up. Vanessa watches as a blue figure appears in the room, looking around confused. 

All of the super-soldiers begin to run away. Sam and Bucky run after them and Walker jumps out of a window and into the street. Vanessa doesn't instantly run after the super soldiers instead she walks up to a confused Lemar. He stares at his body unaware of what is happening. "I'm sorry," she tells him and holds out her hand. Lemar doesn't take it, instead continues to look at the body in front of him. 

Vanessa walks up to the window and looks out. There is a small bus outside where she can land. She conjures a small ball of energy and summons two ghosts to catch her as she falls. "Where did he go?" She asks them. "The square," one of them tells her. Vanessa runs trying to find Walker before he does something horrible. "Where's the square?" She asks a lady walking by. The woman points forward and Vanessa runs in the direction.

Ahead of her, she sees Walker holding one of the super-soldiers down with his foot. He raises the shield above his head ready to strike down. "It wasn't me! It wasn't me!" The man pleads. Vanessa knows that she won't make it in time to stop him herself. She conjures a marble size energy ball in her hand as a ghost begins to appear behind Walker, holding their hands out to take the shield. However, it is too late as Walker brings down the shield with no mercy and savagely murders the man in front of him. Walker slams the shield into the Flag-Smasher over and over and over again. Blood runs down the steps of the monument, the body in front of them unrecognizable. By the time he is done everything is covered in blood splatters.

Vanessa watched from the steps with wide eyes. She lets the ball of energy die in her hands, as yet another glowing figure appears. All around her, the world watches as the man draped in Steve Rogers' legacy just killed a person without any mercy.