Civil War: Chapter 03

Back in California Vanessa did try to get her life together. But when her friends all ghosted her, no pun intended, it didn't take long for things to go back to the way they were before. She had gotten a job as a bartender, with a fake ID that said she had just turned 21, which was probably her first mistake. It had started there, with people asking her if she wanted a smoke and offering 'low price drugs' as they called it. 

It went on like that for quite some time, because like before she had no one to help her. Vanessa had come to terms with the fact that the only life that she would ever truly feel wanted in, was the one that only existed in her head. She'd come to terms with the fact that she was never going to be enough for someone to stay.

Jason once again watched as his friend fell back into old habits, twice as hard. He didn't blame her, he blamed them. They promised to help, they had promised to be there for her, and then they had abandoned her. So once again it was only them two against the world. "Maybe you should try going in sober to work for once, have some breakfast or something" complained Jason. "When you have to deal with shitty ass people all day, you can tell me to go in sober. Besides, it's just weed." 

He had been attempting to convince her to get professional help this time. Someone who would be there for her all the time, maybe even go see a therapist. They walked down to the bar that was only a few blocks away and entered. This had to be the longest job she had in a really long time. She was good at making drinks, especially since she'd tried most of them herself. People often convinced her to take shots with them, which might've been how her drug problem had once again started.

Vanessa herself didn't see a problem with her current lifestyle. She thought of it as an improvement. No longer just doing drugs every hour of every day. She had a routine. Wake up at around midday, take a shower, eat breakfast or lunch (whatever you want to call it), get ready for work, smoke a little weed, work from 3 pm to midnight, have a couple of drinks in-between, get come home, and take some a sedative to help her sleep. Simple. It was all working out for her, in her opinion. "Hey Roxxy, how are things today?" "Hey, Nes. It's been slow. You know the usual, in the mornings" said the older woman. 

As soon as dinner comes around, the bar started to fill up. Many only coming around for the food others for a drink. "Martini, extra olives. Please" said a woman. Vanessa quickly shook the drink and strained it into a glass, adding extra olives into it. "Rough day?" Asked Vanessa. "The worst. Found my husband, sleeping with my best friend. In my bed. Apparently, it's been going on for over a year. They are in love, they said. He's filing for divorce and plans to marry her as soon as it's finalized" the woman explained. Vanessa took a few shot glasses from under the bar and lined them up, filling them with lemon juice and vodka. "Seems like you need something a little stronger." The woman only nodded and quickly took the shots, "keep them coming."

And that is more or less how the entire night went. For some odd reason, people trusted bartenders with their problems. Maybe it's just because they could listen or at least pretend and not judge them. During the time that Vanessa had been working as a bartender, she had heard so many stories anything from a cheating spouse to having odd habits and kinks. Either way, this was the job that Vanessa really enjoyed. Throughout the years Vanessa had random jobs like working at a convenience store or a coffee shop, but she wasn't good at any of them. They were mostly just to pay for drugs and house bills. But for someone who had no experience as a bartender, she was great at it.

Later that night a man approached the bar area. "What is a beautiful girl like you doing working at a place like this?" the man asked. Vanessa turned to find an older man with black hair and brown eyes sitting on the barstool. "What can I get for you?" Asked Vanessa. "How about your number?" Said the man. "No. But, I can serve you a drink" answer Vanessa. "Playing hard to get. I like a challenge." "No, you're just not my type. Now, are you going to order something because if you are not, you're taking up a seat?" 

The man ignored her comment and continued flirting, "What about me isn't your type. I'm everybody's type." "Well, we can start with the fact that you are a man. Just by that, you aren't my type" answered Vanessa. The man suddenly made a disgusted face, stood up, and walked off. "Yes, girl you tell him," said a young woman with curly brown hair, "Does that mean I have a shot or did you just tell him that to get him off your ass, because it's a really nice ass." "Well, why don't you come closer and find out."

The young woman finished her drink, stood up, and went to sit in front of Vanessa. She extended her hand and said, "I'm Jo." "Vanessa."