Civil War: Chapter 02

Unlike Vanessa, who thought Wanda's powers were amazing, many people didn't think that same. After witnessing just how destructive her powers could be, many people began to fear her. General Ross arrived at The Avengers compound with The Sokovia Accords. 

Vanessa knew that things were about to get complicated for everyone and she did not want to be a part of any of it. She caught up to Steve and Natasha and told them she was leaving. "Leaving? Leaving where?" Asked Natasha. "Home. California, it's been too long and I think that it's time for me to return." Of course, neither Natasha nor Steve agreed with her and wanted her to stay. "Come on" whined the girl, "I'm a grown adult. Technically I don't even have to ask you for permission. So this is just me being nice and letting you know." "Vanessa you are not ready. Do you think I haven't noticed the bags under your eyes? You haven't been sleeping well" said Steve. "It had nothing to do with my powers. I've just been getting really bad headaches that won't let me sleep. No big deal" she lied. In fact, she had been having more nightmares at night and she would sometimes stay up until exhaustion eventually took over.

Vanessa really did miss home. In New York, she could never take off her hoodie for too long before getting cold. "I'll be fine. I'll go home, get a job, maybe go to college or something. And Natasha I promise that I will continue my training as best as I can." "You and I both know you're not going to do that," said Jason. "Fine," said Steve, "but, we'll be checking up on you. Just to make sure."

Vanessa next knocked on Wanda's door, "Come in." "Hey Wanda, how are you doing?" The older woman was sitting on the edge of her bed with her legs crossed. "The whole world thinks I'm a terrorist and the truth is, I don't think they are wrong." "You are not a terrorist Wanda. You have a power that sometimes gets hard to control. They are just afraid, that's all." "Yeah, they are afraid of me," Wanda said. "There are so many things in this world to be afraid of Wanda. But you shouldn't let it control you." As Vanessa said this she realized what a hypocrite she was. She spent all of her life running and hiding from her own fears. "Thanks, Nes."

There was a moment of silence before Wanda spoke again, "You're leaving aren't you?" "Yeah, I don't think this is the right place for me at the moment. Plus I miss home, I miss the warmth." "You know New York has roughly the same temperature as California, right?" Wanda asked. "Yeah in the summer, but LA doesn't snow every Winter." "I'm going to miss you. You became my best friend in these last few months." "Hey! She's my best friend back off" yelled Jason. "I'll miss you too Wanda." "I'll keep in touch don't worry you won't be getting rid of me that easily."

»»-------------¤-------------««

And that's how things went, for a while. Wanda, Natasha, and Steve did in fact keep in contact with Vanessa. But it only took about a month for things to begin to fall apart for both The Avengers and for Vanessa. Things started to take a turn for the worse when the King of Wakanda was murdered and Steve's childhood friend, James "Bucky" Barnes was the main suspect. Steve went after him, trying to find the truth.

The truth was that Bucky had nothing to do with the death of King T'Chaka, but the whole world was looking for him with orders to shoot on sight. Things were not looking up for anyone when Steve went to talk to Bucky and T'Challa to kill him. They were soon all arrested and Bucky was taken in custody. After a series of events, Zemo unleashed The Winter Soldier. Where he managed to escape with the help of Steve and Sam.

When Bucky came back to himself he along with everyone who was on Steve's side tried to leave the country. Only to run into Tony Stark, where they engaged in a fight. Steve, along with Bucky managed to escape with the help of Natasha. And travel to Siberia where they found Zemo and five dead Winter Soldiers. As it turned out Zemo never wanted to unleash more Super Soldiers, he said wanted to "watch an empire fall." And he did. 

As Tony Stark showed up with Steve and Bucky, Zemo showed him the video of The Winter Soldier murdering his parents. And even if Tony knew that Bucky was not in control of his actions when he did that, he still wanted revenge. He fought against Steve and Bucky, forever breaking a friendship. "He's my friend," said Steve referring to Bucky. "So was I" answered Tony.

Things after that were not the same. Steve went on the run after breaking Sam and Wanda out of prison. Natasha also went on the run, as she had played a part in their defense. King T'Challa took Bucky with him to Wakanda to fix his mind and get everything Hydra put into it out. Tony began working on an exoskeleton for Rhodey so he could only again walk. The Avengers were done, broken up. Of course, Vanessa knew none of this, only what appeared on the news. And even then that wasn't always trustworthy. When they no longer tried to contact her, she decided that it was probably for the best. As she believed she would eventually manage to ruin it like she did everything.