Infinity War: Chapter 05

Vanessa continued to fight the creatures until they started to retreat and go back to their spaceships. Thor flew over to where the spaceships were about to take off and destroyed them. Vanessa was leaning against a tree and hardly took notice as her nose started to bleed. However it wasn't just a regular nose bleed, she was bleeding black blood. "Vanessa, you have to let go of the dome. It killing you" said Nate. She wiped her nose and let go of the remaining ghost. All around the fighting field, ghosts began to slowly fade out, all of them no longer visible to those alive.

What they couldn't see was how most of them began to flurry away, having found their peace and moving on. "Look at that" said Vanessa as she sat down against a tree, "They've found peace." "It's beautiful," said Nate. Vanessa turned to look at him, expecting him to also be moving on. Nate looked down at Vanessa and shook his head, "I did some horrible things when I was alive, it's going to take a lot more for me to find peace. So you're stuck with me." 

One of the ghosts remaining neared Vanessa, and she saw that it was Pietro. He was also starting to slightly disintegrate in blue light. "Look after my sister will you?" He said. "I'll try my best" answered Vanessa as he fully disappeared into nothingness.

Vanessa was beginning to close her eyes when she heard Banner say, "That's him, Cap," and she knew that Thanos had arrived. She forced herself up and began to walk over to where he had just appeared. "Vanessa no, stop! You've done enough, you're only going to get yourself killed" said Nate. But it was no use she wouldn't listen to him. He followed her even though he knew he couldn't do anything. "Eyes up, stay sharp"

Vanessa threw some of her throwing knives at the mad titan, but he stopped them and threw them back at her, where she barely managed to dodge them. She tried to summon enough energy to send Nate towards him, but she couldn't. Vanessa didn't see how it happened, but when she felt an explosion of power she knew what Wanda had been forced to do. Destroy the stone along with Vision. But then the explosion reversed itself.

As soon as Thanos snapped his fingers, the effect was instant. People all around them began to dissolve into dust. Vanessa's eyes widen as she saw people around her turn to dust. She turned to look at her hands half expecting the same thing to happen to her, but nothing. "What the hell?" Said Nate. The disappearances were nothing like when ghosts had found peace. This was more disturbing to see, especially since these people were all alive.

Vanessa made her way to where Vision's lifeless body laid. She was being half held by Natasha. "What is this? What the hell is happening?" Asked Rhodey. Steve sat down next to Vision's body looking into the distance, "Oh, God" he said. As if it was in that moment he'd realized that they'd lost and now half of the population of every living thing was gone.

»»-------------¤-------------««

Things after that were a little hazy for Vanessa. She tried to stay awake but she had used a large amount of energy summoning and giving them corporeal bodies. They had made their way back to the King's Palace only to find that everyone was in chaos. The Avengers tried to help them as best as they could but in the end, they realized that they were only in the way and decided to make their way back home.

Vanessa was trying to make her way to the Quinjet with the help of Natasha. Her vision started to cloud up and her nose begins to bleed again, that's when her body decided to give out. "Vanessa!" Cried Natasha, "Hey, hey, come on stay with me. Just a little longer." As soon as she got seated into the Quinjet her vision went black and she collapsed. "Is she alright?" Asked Steve. "She will be, she's just tired. The amount of magic she used out there was a lot and it took a toll on her" answered Natasha. Vanessa had explained to her that every time she interacted with ghosts it took a great deal of energy from her. Plus she had never done anything to the extent of today.

Everyone arrived back at the compound and Vanessa was still unconscious. Steve placed her in one of the rooms so that she could comfortably rest. They all had expected her to wake up in a few hours, but nothing. After two days Natasha and Steve began to worry about her, wondering if there might be some neurological damage. Natasha called Bruce to give her an exam, but he said that everything was normal, but he wasn't sure when she would wake up. He placed an IV on the girl to get her the nutrients that she would need.

Vanessa slept for an entirety of 10 days and when she woke up, she was met with a very angry ghost. "What were you thinking? Do you purposely want to get yourself killed?" Asked Jason. "Please stop yelling, I have a wicked headache," said Vanessa, ignoring his previous questions. "Good. You should be glad that's all you have, You could've had some permanent damage, Vanessa." "You don't know that. I'm fine J, really. There's no need to worry. Now, where am I?" She asked. "Avengers Compound in New York, they all flew back about a week and a half ago," he said. Vanessa sat and looked at Jason with a shocked look, "I've been asleep for a week and a half?" Jason nodded.

Vanessa was suddenly reminded about everything that went down in Wakanda and their outcome. "We lost," she said, "The one time I try to do some good and we lose." "It's not your fault Nes. You did everything right, everything in your power. There would've been more lives lost if you hadn't been there. Losing was nobody's fault, he was just too strong for anyone. Don't go blaming yourself" Jason explained. "But, maybe if I could've summoned more ghosts they would've been able to beat him, they wouldn't have been affected by the stones" Vanessa argued. 

"Yeah, and it would've killed you. And the outcome would've been the same. Stop living in the what-if. It happened, there is nothing you can do about it now" Jason said. Vanessa knew he was right. She had used so much energy back in Wakanda, that it was a miracle that all she had was a headache. But, there was still a small part of her that wondered what would've happened if she'd been stronger. Would the outcome have been different? Or would've she just gotten herself killed?