The Falcon & The Winter Soldier: Chapter 16

Vanessa headed straight home after leaving Dr. Madison's office. As soon as she opened the door she was hit with an amazing smell. After closing the door she walked over to the kitchen to find Bucky making food. "You can cook? How did I not know that?" Vanessa asked. "There's a lot of things you don't know about me," he said, "I hope you don't mind." "Not at all. If this is what you are going to make please cook for me every day" Vanessa said, grabbing a shrimp of the pasta. "You're going to burn yourself," Bucky said as Vanessa took a bite out of it, only to have to fan herself for how hot it was. "Told you so," Bucky said. "Shut up," Vanessa said, still eating the shrimp.

The rest of the day went by quicker than either Bucky and Vanessa would've wanted. Vanessa spent most of it asking Bucky random questions to get to better know him. "Cats or dogs?" She asked. "Cats. Dogs are just too hyper" he said. "Books or movies?" "Books definitely, much more detail," he says. "What's your favorite book?" Vanessa asks, shifting her body to face him. He let out a small chuckle before he answered, "It's an old book called White Fang, don't remember the author but it's a good read. Yours?" "Believe it or not Little Women. It was the first book I ever read in English. Holds a lot of memories" Vanessa said. "I keep forgetting that English isn't your first language," he said. "It's my main one now, I hardly ever speak Spanish. Unless it's to curse someone" Vanessa said.

"Speaking of nativeness, tomorrow" Bucky began, "Where is it that we will be traveling to?" "Well, they all live in Santa Cruz, which is about five to six hours depending on traffic. Which is why I think we should leave early to avoid any LA traffic" Vanessa said. "How early?" Bucky asked. "Four? Five the latest" Vanessa said, checking the clock, "So we should probably go get some rest. It's a long trip. The second door to the left is the guest room. My room is right in front if you need anything."

Bucky nodded and gave her a smile, "Night Vanessa." "Night Bucky" Vanessa said walking to her room. Bucky stayed sitting on the couch a while longer knowing that his dreams would soon be plagued by nightmares. Unbeknownst to him that Vanessa was going through the same.

»»——————¤-------------««

The next morning was nothing but chaotic. Vanessa had gotten only a few hours of sleep before being awakened by ghosts. She'd gotten up at three-thirty in order to pack an overnight bag in case they needed to stay the night. Vanessa had planned to return the same day, but she never knew what might happen. She dressed in simple black jeans and a black shirt and headed over to the kitchen.

Bucky had been laying in bed awake for a couple of minutes. He had been awakened by the same nightmare as always. He didn't know how long he laid there, staring at the ceiling. A while late he heard the door to Vanessa's room open and he knew that she was awake. He waited a few more minutes before getting up as well.

Vanessa sat on the kitchen counter waiting for the coffee to be ready. She already had a headache and she wasn't sure if the cause was the lack of sleep or the overthinking. The more she thought about what the day would bring, the more she wanted to back out. "Morning," said Bucky, entering the kitchen. "Hey, want some coffee?" Vanessa asked. "Sure."

There was a comfortable silence between the two. Both felt at peace in the presence of each other. The only sound was the slow dripping of the coffee. Vanessa continued to think about going back to her childhood home. Why did she think this was a good idea? Why did she have to go see them after they'd never made an effort of looking for her?

Bucky watched as Vanessa stared ahead, deep in thought. "Hey, you ok?" He asked, knowing how intrusive thoughts could be. "Just nervous," she said still looking at the coffee pot, "This is probably a mistake." "Maybe. Or maybe not. Just know that you won't be alone. I'll be right there by your side" he said. Vanessa turned her head to look at him. "Thank you," she said, grabbing the hand closest to her. It just happened to be his Vibranium arm.

Bucky half expected her to retract her arm as soon as she felt the coldness of his metal arm, but she didn't. Instead, she held it as if there was nothing different about it. He looked up from where her hand was placed and looked her in the eyes. They both looked each other in the eyes, neither one of them looking away. The blue ocean meeting the blue sky. 

The slight whistling of the coffee pot made them both look away. "The, uh coffee's ready," Vanessa said turning her back towards Bucky. Bucky smiled when he saw the light blush creeping onto Vanessa's face, completely aware that he was also blushing. "We should get going," Vanessa said, composing herself, "don't want to get stuck in LA traffic." "Yeah," Bucky said, biting down on his lip to keep himself from smirking.

»»-------------¤-------------««

Hour 1:

"So you are telling me you have never read The Hobbit?" Bucky asked Vanessa, "Why?" "It's just never really interested me," she said looking over at him in the passenger seat. "Do you not like the magic aspect of it?" He asked. "Oh, I love reading about fantasy. I mean I love Harry Potter, but I've never been able to get into The Hobbit. But if it's that much of a shock to you I'll read the damn books" she said. "Now I don't want you to read them if you're going to disrespect them like that," he said. Vanessa only rolled her eyes and continued driving.

Hour 2:

"Stop laughing at me," Vanessa said, jokingly punching Bucky in the chest. "I'm not laughing at you," he said laughing, "Why?" "I genuinely don't know. It's just a weird fear I have" Vanessa said. "Dolls?" Bucky asked, thinking she was joking. "You have obviously never owned a porcelain doll, their little eyes seem to follow you everywhere. It's creepy" she said. Bucky only shook his head still unbelieving and continued laughing. "Shut up."

Hour 3:

"We're lost," Bucky said. "We are not lost, Barnes. Yes, I might've taken the wrong exit back there but we are not lost" Vanessa said. "How about I drive instead?" Bucky said, offering for the third time in the last hour. "No, I can drive just fine. Besides when was the last time you've driven a car? 1886?" Vanessa asked. "Your jokes about my age are getting old very fast," he said, hiding the smile that crept to his face. "Just like you. You walked right into that one" Vanessa said, "Don't even bother trying to deny it, I know you secretly enjoy them." Bucky only rolled his eyes in response. He did in fact enjoy her jokes and teasing as they constantly made him smile and made him feel normal. Well as normal as a 106-year-old could possibly be. 

Hour 4:

"What do you have against modern music?" Vanessa asked. "I don't have anything against modern music. It's just loud" he said. "Loud? As in the volume?" Vanessa asked. "No. As in there is so much happening in one single song. Loud" he explained. "I will find something that you  enjoy," Vanessa said, "What does 40s music sound like?" "Slow, instrumental. Something you can slow dance with someone or spin them around" he said, "A golden age for music." Vanessa looked over at him and saw a look of longing in his eyes. Longing to go back to a time when things were much simpler. Vanessa said nothing else not wanting to disturb his memories.

Hour 5:

"We're lost again, aren't we?" Bucky asked when he noticed Vanessa driving slower. "No. I know exactly where I'm going" Vanessa said truthfully, "I just..." "You just don't want to get there," he said. Vanessa didn't say anything, but she didn't have to it was written all over her face. "How about we go get something to eat. I don't know about you, but I'm starving" he told her, trying to distract her. "It's still early enough for breakfast. Pancakes?" Vanessa asked him. "Sure," Bucky said.