| 22 |

As the sun had disappeared behind the trees standing to the west of the base I quietly climbed up the ladder to the eastern guard tower. I knew Kitae already was there, I had seen him climb up the ladder right after dinner. Whereas I had been held back momentarily by Sunoo, who had wanted to talk to me about Kitae.

Apparently Sunoo shared the same concerns Jungwon had last night. I really didn't understand how they saw this boy as some problem or something like that. He was quite kind and respective when I had went to talk to him yesterday. But I guess if at least two people told me to be aware of him, I would keep a little more than a friendly distance to him.

"Sorry I'm late. I got caught up with something Jay wanted to tell me," I excused with a tiny lie. Something told me Kitae and Sunoo weren't good friends with what I could figure out had happened in the past.

"Nah, it's cool," Kitae waved it off and gestured to a bow and an arrow quiver standing up on the platform, "I figured you were quite handy with those two."

"Looking at the recent events I would've thought I wasn't allowed to be in possession of weapons," I commented and picked up the bow and one arrow, "so what do I do up here?"

"Basically... we just keep a look out for any possible dangers to the base. Minor dangers, we fix them ourselves. Bigger dangers, report to mr. Bang," Kitae explained and I slowly nodded, "are you unsure of what is a minor danger or above just ask. But usually minor dangers are groups of zombies on at least five. Sometimes we're unlucky they can get past the gates, that are unguarded at this time of the day."

"I see," I nodded at him and quitely began looking around the area outside the fences.

My eyes slowly travelled over a small belt of trees running out in the distance that made small memories flood back into my mind. I turned my head away from Kitae as a small smile slowly spread on my face at the thought of the conversations Jungwon and I had out there, when I was still banished from returning to inside of the base. Maybe I really liked him more than I thought.

"So tell me... you and Jungwon, I can't figure you two out," Kitae commented making me look to him.

"Is this part of the shifts as well? Smalltalk?" I commented making him let out a small laugh before he leaned his back against the fence, standing right beside me.

"It gets a bit boring otherwise," he excused, "everyone has their own ways of passing time here. But I wanna do the smalltalk before I let you in on what I usually do to get time going."

"Sounds shady," I commented making him let out another laugh at me again.

"I wouldn't say so," he shook his head and ran a hand through his hair. He was fairly handsome, but maybe it was just the faint light that made it look like he was more handsome than I initially thought. Nonetheless he surely wasn't more handsome than my brothers.

"To each their own," I excused and leaned forward on my elbows, glancing out over the area in front of me as the fence let out a small creak at the sudden weight of two teenagers learning against it.

"It can take it," Kitae assured as he saw me eyeing the fence, "it's been holding up just fine up until now... it would be a wonder if it decides to give out on your first shift."

"Would be an interesting story to tell," I excused, "even though I'm not sure who to tell it to. My guess is that if the fence falls, so does the rest of the base. The only way to survive a hoard of zombies is-" I slowly halted in my words and immediately straightened up as my eyes widened when realization hit me.

"What are you talking about? A hoard of zombies is impossible to survive," Kitae stated, "Jiyeon-ie... are you there?"

"No no no, it is possible... I should've told. I should've told Heeseung before they drove off. Oh God what if they end in a hoard. If they don't know how to survive it they're as good as dead meat," I began rambling as I paced back and forth on the platform.

It was first really now that realization hit me about how dangerous it was for those three boys to be going down south for two days. If they didn't know how to get through a hoard it could end fatal.

"Jiyeon... relax!" Kitae called out and softly grabbed my shoulders, immediately stopping me in my tracks, "they'll be fine... Beomgyu hyung is the master of coming up with stupid ideas that somehow work. The three of them will get back... and they'll get back alive. Don't worry about them."

"But-" I started and he immediately pulled me in for a hug and softly ran a hand through my hair.

"They're supposed to come back tomorrow night. I assure you they're coming back," he softly spoke and I slowly nodded as I felt myself relax once again.

Once relaxed I quickly pulled away from Kitae, trying not to make it seem suspicious with the way I pulled away. I did it in a carefuly yet quick manner as I slowly pulled myself together.

Now that I actually thought about it I was genuinely really worried about whether or not Jungwon would return. I mean... I wanted to see him again, but if it was for the same reason he made me believe last night, I don't know.