| 16 |

Three nights had already passed out in the forrest since Jungwon came out to me the first time. Since then he usually had some sort of food with him that we shared. But tonight was the very last day I was going to be out here and then I would be allowed back into the base. 

I still wasn't completely sure if I wanted to stay or not. I knew Jay and Sunghoon would want me to stay and now it also seemed like Jungwon would want that too. But I just... I wasn't sure. If I could be punished by saving a few people inside the base, then I didn't want to stay.

"Knock, knock, knock. Can I come up?" Jungwon's voice called out from the bottom of the tree I had stayed in all nights out here.

"What's the magic word?" I questioned him in amusement making him just roll his eyes at me.

"Please?" he questioned and I sighed.

"You're really bad at being creative," I commented and moved over on the branch, making Jungwon immediately crawl up to sit beside me, "so what did the magic little leprechaun bring for me tonight?"

"A kiss," Jungwon replied making me just stare at him and blink a few times, "I'm kidding, relax," he let out a small laugh at me before pulling out some chocolate bar from his pocket, "I found these before I attacked you in the convenience store... they're set to have expired like six years ago, but if there's one thing I've learned... then it is that chocolate can hold for much longer than the expiration date says, as long as it's not green."

"Thank you," I muttered and grabbed the one he was extending towards me, "I don't remember the last time I had one of these."

"That's what I thought," he nodded at me as I undid the wrapper and took a small bite out of it. The savory taste immediately hit my tongue and I needed to close my eyes for a moment.

"Oh my god... it's so much better when you haven't had it in years," I commented making Jungwon let out a small laugh at me.

"I always take some for myself when I go on convenience store huntings," he nodded in agreement, "I'm set to go on a longer trip down south in a few days or so... you could go with me."

"I don't think they'll allow that after this," I commented in amusement and he just shrugged at me.

"It would only last two days anyways... I'm set to leave with Heeseung hyung and Beomgyu hyung," he pointed out and I just nodded at him.

"They'll take good care of you," I assured him and he just nodded.

"I know," he hummed, "I just think I'll find it funnier to go with you... or at least to make up for the knife to the throat when we first met."

"An interesting meeting it sure was," I commented as he let out a small laugh, "can I ask you a question?" I asked and looked at him, making him just turn his head and nod at me, "what did you have to report to mr. Bang?"

"The alliance saw us... they saw the license plate on the car... they know we shot after them," Jungwon commented and I just nodded at him, "I had to tell him so we could set up our safety mechanisms against them. If we're lucky we won't lose anyone this time."

"This time?" I questioned him and he just nodded at me.

"The alliance... I don't know how it was when you were there, but they'll terrorize anyone who don't share the same beliefs of the new world as them or anyone who have attacked them in some form. When I shot after them, it was already decided then that they'll terrorize us once again."

"I see," I nodded at him as I took another bite of my chocolate bar.

"Which is why I hoped you could go on the two day mission with me," he admitted, "you haven't tried one of their attacks before and it could go very wrong if you don't know what to do... or if they recognize you."

"I'll be fine... I have my brothers," I assured and he just nodded at me.

"You do... but I want to be there too," he admitted making me sigh and rub my eyes as I folded the wrapping over the half chocolate bar I had left.

"I don't have an appetite," I excused and handed back the chocolate bar to Jungwon.

Jungwon quietly took it before shoving it in one of the pockets of my pants, patting it softly before just smiling at me.

"Go to the gates with sunrise," Jungwon stated and I just nodded at him, "Taehyun hyung will let you in then."

"I don't know if I want to go back," I admitted making him frown down at me, "it just... it doesn't feel right for me to be there. Why would I get punished for helping you. I mean neither Beomgyu or Kitae, whoever he is, was around to help... was I just supposed to let that zombie get Sunoo or what?"

"We have the rule for a reason," Jungwon sighed at me.

"Oh," was all I replied and you best believe that reply made me feel like an idiot.

"Once... before Jay and Sunghoon joined us there was a woman in the base. Back then everyone was allowed to kill the zombies who went in. Prior to the incident she and another of the others in the base had had an argument about something stupid. So when a zombie escaped into the base she saw her chance and shot the other woman while excusing it with aiming for the zombie... that is why we only have trusted people take care of zombies inside the base. So we don't have people killing each other whenever a zombie gets in. You need to realize that all our rules are made for specific reasons... they're not just there to be stupid. I promise. It's all to keep us safe."

"Is there anyone else?" I questioned and he just looked at me in confusion, "who has been there since the start... like you?"

"No," he shook his head at me, "I watched as the whole neighbourhood gathered and build up the fences when the outbreak came. They knew already back then that the government was for no use. I watched them build up that whole fence and I saw each and everyone of them either die, never return or go insane... and I've watched everyone else slowly come to the base over the years. I've seen everyone come and I'll end up seeing everyone go."

"I'm sorry," I quietly whispered before extending my hand towards him. He let out a small laugh as he just looked down at my hand, "please?"

"You don't have to be sorry for anything," he shook his head and laid his hand in mine. I immediately wrapped my hand around his and gave a small squeeze. Somehow it felt like his warm hand fit perfectly in mine as I just sat and held it, "it's not like you did anything wrong."

"Well... you saw me come," I sighed, "and up until now you were supposed to see me go. But now... now I think I'll be the one who makes sure you don't see everyone go. You're gonna be stuck with me till the day you die Yang Jungwon."

"I wish I could say it was a pleasure," he admitted making me let out a small laugh, "by sunrise, at the gates. Promise me that."

"Yeah yeah, I promise," I assured him with a small smile, "now go back and sleep in your fuzzy warm bed. You'll need energy to greet me tomorrow morning. You'll never see another moment of rest again."

"Oh my dear god," he let out a small laugh before I let go of his hand and just patted his back.

"Now go boba boy, enjoy your last night of silence before I come back and haunt you with my nightmares," I teased as he quietly crawled down from the tree, "and be careful on your way back."

"One day you'll tell me what those nightmares are about," he pointed out and I just shrugged before I watched him smile and then disappear into the black of night.

I hate to say it, but I was actually beginning to enjoy his presence and company.