The car

Chapter eight

"I'm telling you Lola, no matter how many messages Zeus sends me I'm not coming to that race." Cleo said down the phone as she walked the halls. The school had no rules against phones, it wasn't greatly encouraged, but Cleo needed a way to get through the day.

"He's about as stubborn as you so it's not easy." Lola replied. The sight of Ralph approaching Oli caught Cleo's eye and captured her entire attention.

"I'll call you back L, I need to handle something." Cleo's protective mode kicked in when she saw Oli's body tense up with fear. Seeing her new friend get so intimidated made Cleo angry, especially when she saw Ralph pounce closer to Oli.

Cleo arrived just after Ralph's arm rose to hit the books out of Oli's hands. The books slammed to the floor just inches away from Oli's feet. Ralph's smug smirk soon came to an end. "Hey asshole." Cleo said as she grabbed Ralph's wrist and twisted it behind his back. He groaned in pain as she tightened her grip.

"Get off of me you psycho." Ralph growled, Oli gulped with nerves but Cleo thrived off this situation.

"Sure." She said. "After you apologise to Oliver for your rude behaviour." He scoffed at her condition. Cleo applied more pressure to his dainty wrist, digging her nails into his skin, he squeal in even more agony.

"Fine!" Ralph shouted through his gritted teeth. "I surrender. I'm sorry Oliver." Although he didn't sound entirely sincere Cleo released her deadly grip on him.

"Good." She said, Ralph sighed in relief of his free arm. "Now pick up his books." His face fell at her order. Demoralising Oli's bully was very rewarding to her.

"You can't be serious." He said in disgust.

She smiled and crossed her arms. "As a heart attack." Ralph clenched his jaw as he bent down to collect the books he only forced to the floor a minute ago. He held them out for Oli to take, Oli was hesitant due to Ralph's previous actions but accepted his belongings back. "Have a good day Ralph." Cleo finished dismissing his presence. He looked angry as ever but did exactly what he was told.

"That was insane." Oli said as his mood turned in the complete opposite direction.

Cleo shrugged. "Well I hate bullies, and I love knocking down the likes of a toxic trust fund boy such as Ralph." Oli's smile was all she needed as a thanks, he'd been nothing but nice to her since she arrived.

"Are you going?" Oli's voiced asked behind Cleo's locker. She peered back to get a look at his perky question.

"Going to what?" She replied not nearly as chipper as him. He waved a brightly coloured flyer in the air for Cleo to grasp.

'All years mixer' printed in fancy bold letters. Cleo laughed at the event Oli seemed so interested in.

"I'll take that as a no." He said taking the paper from her hands, his disheartened face reminded her of Charlie. She hadn't found him in days, she had a feeling he had been avoiding her. Everyone around here is very sensitive.

"It's not a no, it's just sort of odd. What even happens at a mixer?"

Oli's eye lit up at the chance to explain. "It's one of the first school functions of the year. All classes get together, and socialise. It's a great way to meet the new students."

"Hold on." Cleo said glaring at him with great intensity. "Are you student repping me right now?" His guilty looking expression proved her theory right. "I don't need a mixer." She said closing her locker door.