Let go

I get changed quickly and walk out of the room. Dreadwing and Drake our outside the room and are quietly arguing. I hear my name and something about protecting, but they stop as they spot me. They are at my side within seconds, both grabbing my arms. They hold on tight, glaring at each other. Oh boy, I'm not looking forward to this. All I want to do is go back to base and relax. Sleep more like it.

"I know that was Ratchet. He's not happy that I'm here." Dreadwing spits out.

"I know that, but I'm glad you 're here." I admit. Drake looks confused. "The doctor was one of the Autobots. He will give me my check up at their base."

"Why didn't he just say something when we were all in there?" Drake asked, clearly not happy at being left out.

"He may not have wanted the nurse to know. She was still in the room." I say, trying to loosen their grip.

"No, she knows who he is. She's one of the children's parents." Dreadwing wastes no time admitting.

"There are children involved?" Drake looks at me with wide eyes.

"That I knew nothing about." I attempt to put my hands up in defense, if these two weren't hanging onto my arms.

"What the hell kind of place they running? Letting children be involved in a alien war." Drake scorns.

"Can we worry about this later? I'd like to go back to base and pass out in my rack." I complain, hoping to get their attention off each other.

"I'll take you back to base, but Captain will want to speak to you first before you can go to your room." Drake pulls my arm towards him.

Dreadwing doesn't let go, but he doesn't say anything either. I'm not sure what is running through his mind right now, but I know he knows, he can't take me back to base. No matter how much he wishes he could.

"Can you both let go of me? I can walk you know." I yell in a whisper at them.

I shake my arms loose from their hold and head to the exit. Not caring if either of them are following. It doesn't take long to hear their bootsteps behind me. I don't bother looking back and soon I'm walking through double doors and am being blinded by the sun. I cover my eyes with my hand and look for our ride. I see a familiar blue and red flamed truck sitting in the middle of the parking lot. I groan on the inside, hoping that's not our ride.

"Optimus will be bringing us back to base." Drake says from behind me. I also hear Dreadwing growl at his words.

"Yeah, that's a great idea. No one will question a bright blue and red truck driving onto base and then leaving with no passengers." I say sarcastically, turning and looking at him.

"I do have a holoform, Lieutenant Jane. I personally want to make sure you get back to base safely." I jump at the deep voice of Optimus Prime.

I spin on my heel, looking the holoform up and down. He is tall, even taller than Dreadwing. He wears a blue leather jacket with red accents. The Autobot symbol on his left shoulder. His dark hair, which in the sun looks almost a dark blue, is slicked back. His eyes are the same as Ratchets, bright pure blue, only deeper, those eyes have seen pain. He is clean shaven, a chiseled jaw. His skin looks so smooth. His nose looks almost crooked, probably from being in so many battles. He looks the part of a leader though. His back straight, shoulders back, his hands behind his back as he stands staring down at me. I would go to war with this man right here, no doubt about it.

"I appreciate it, Optimus, but wouldn't people question you being there? I feel like that would just get you more noticed. I'm sure I'm going to be asked a thousand questions." I want to continue but he puts a hand up.

"We are going with that I'm a friend of Agent Fowlers. He asked me to make sure you got back safely. I will also be the one picking you up when you are finished with work."

"Oh, well I guess that works...wait what? I know I said I would take your protection, but I can't leave base every day. I can be there on my off days, but some days I do have to work late. Can't you guys just watch from afar, or something?"

"The captain already knows where you'll be going." Drake intervenes.

"How much does the captain know?" I say through gritted teeth.

"You will find out when we get back." He shrugs.

"Say goodbye to Dreadwing. I can't guarantee you will see him again." Optimus looks up at Dreadwing, who I almost forgot was there, he has been so quiet.

"What do you mean? Why can't I see him?" I growl, backing up, putting my hand on Dreadwings arm.

"It's for your own safety." He moves me so I'm looking at him.

"Wait your okay with this?" I croak. I have to hold back my tears.

"I won't let Megatron harm you. If it means not seeing you, then so be it." His voice is monotone, like he his trying to hold back all emotion.

"It's not fair." I want to cry, but I need to be strong. I feel like I'm losing him.

"I know, Rebecca, but I want you safe." He pulls me into a hug. I wrap my arms around his waist and hold on tight. I don't want to let go.

"It's time to go, Lieutenant." Optimus calls out.

Dreadwing slowly let's go of me. I put my arms to my side, but I do not yet move away. He has to give me a little push for my feet to move. Drake reaches for me, but I steer out of his way, walking past him. I can feel Dreadwings eyes staring after me, but I cannot let myself turn around for one last look. I wrap my arms around me, feeling cold without him. It is like I am losing apart of myself. My only wonder is if I am ever going to see him again. 

---------------

Hey Guys, 

I know it's short. I just wanted to get something out to you all. I hope to get back into writing more in the next month or so. Thank you all for being so patient with me. I really appreciate it. 

love, 

Shelby77gt