Chapter 59 - Responsibilities

It didn't take Ezekiel long to lead Brandon down to the farm. And the scenery wasn't much more the Brandon had expected to see. Three large white fences grounded in the shapes of squares sat in front of a relatively pristine looking farm that was painted bright red and white like pepper cane.

Brandon took all of that in as they grew closer, only realizing once Ezekiel had led him to the front of the barn, that the entire farm was actually quite large. Nearly more than a few acres across and a good three fields wide, with all of the fences b giant vats of mud with bits of yellowed grass packed into it. Brandon quickly guessed that the yellow grass was hay that had been trampled beneath the farm animal's feet.

But if he had expected to see any of these animals in person he didn't get the chance. The entirety of the farm seemed devoid of life at the moment of Ezekiels arrival.

Confused Brandon turned and questioned him about the missing animals.

"Why aren't there any animals here?" Ezekiel chuckled glanced at him and smiled. "I'm sorry I forgot that you're new to the village. " He began turning his blue eyes out towards the open. "All of the pigs have actually been moved out to the western village for the winter, but seeing as the spring is right around the corner the farmers will be relocating the pigs back this way later in the week to give the farm land in the west a few months to recuperate and grow fresh fields for the next turn of the season."

"Ah..." Brandon expressed his understanding, then he asked. "So you do this every year, like clockwork?"

"Yup..." Ezekiel replied. Then motioning for Brandon to follow him as he turned, and walked towards a large metallic rectangular door built on the side of the Barn house. Brandon watched Ezekiel lean down, grab a thin chain and then jerk that chain up, so that the door began to lift up into the top of the wall, disappearing like a curtain rolling up to let in the sun.

Ezekiel steeped into the barn and Brandon trailed a few steps behind him, letting his eyes grow accustomed to the interior of the building. And once they had adjusted to the dimness Brandon took a quick glance about the Barn house.

He took in the simple plank steps built into the far wall that lead a narrow path up to a thick upper floor, where the stacks of dozens of bundles of hay could be seen, just waiting to be lugged about. Next Brandon looked about the bottom floor of the Barn, where he spotted at least twenty short stalls, all empty, but clean and all the size that would fit a group of pigs.

Then dotted all around the interior of the barn house were large, and sturdy wooden beans, some with hooks and harness holders hammered into them; While far too the back of the barn Brandon spotted an empty space, where a large drain sat in the wood and jutting out of the walls in the empty space were three old fashioned shower heads, attached to three levers.

The pipes were spread out by a few feet and all of the nozzles were pointed down in the imitation of a shower. Brandon looked at the pipes and guessed that the nozzles were used to pour water and possible to bathe the farm animals.

Suddenly Ezekiel spoke, pulling Brandon out of his own mind. "So... This is how we can do this..."Ezekiel said, standing across the room, and looking down at a pile of tools laid out on a table next to the wall. And it wasn't until that moment that Brandon realized that the Shifter had pulled out the tools out of a small room behind the steps. Brandon walked his way as he continued to speak.

"I need to get all of the fresh hay that I can, out there and spread it out in the fenced areas." Ezekiel began, turning towards Brandon slightly as he sensed him getting closer Ezekiel turned form the table, and leaned his hip on the table as he spoke, his blue eyes seeming to glow in the dim light. "Then I'll be filling all of the slop troughs and spreading some dried seeds out into the fields...."