Chapter 24 - Diffuse

At that moment Ezekiels mother steeped between them, her deep green eyes slit and glowing like a cats in the night. "Stop this both of you!" She hissed pushing them apart with a stiff shove that forced both men to give way.

Ezekiel knew that his mother was in some way on equal footing with his father when it came to power and influence in the village.

She stood with his father on even ground and so was likely the only one in the whole village that could challenge him... or calm him down. And as she flashed her teeth at the both of them, he realized that she was pretty darn good at intimidating him too. Mantilo growled back at her, but all of the aggression melted out of him as she returned the sound. Not waiting for another response she walked back and looked over at the mortal who was still kneeling in a ball on the ground by the wall.

"Stop fighting. Theres something wrong. I'm smelling blood. Lots of blood.... Weather he's an intruder or not, this guy is still my patient and if you haven't noticed he's hurt again." Glen sighed. "I can't have you scaring him back into shock and making the problem worse! So help me....or leave this hallway!"

"What are you talking about? I'm not leaving you up here with that...." Mantilo said turning from Ezekiel too look behind him at the mortal. The mortal seemed to sink deeper into a ball at his tone of voice. His slender arms tightening around himself and his head tiled down blocking his eye from Ezekiels view. Mantilo hissed at the stranger as he glared at him. "Besides he's not your patient anymore Glen. He seems better to me. If he's awake I can get him the hell out of here."

"No! Don't move him!" Mantilo took a step forward and Glen hissed at him, her eyes flashing with a slight luminescence and Ezekiel watched his father grimace and step back from the mortal reluctantly.

"Dammit Glen..." He growled at her, the rolled his eyes. "Fine I won't move him just yet, you mad woman, but he is going back into that room! I don't want him anywhere else in my home!"

Him mother bit her lip, worry replacing aggression on her face. "But....I don't think I should move him at all.... "She began.

"What's wrong with him? He was fine a moment ago." Ezekiel said concern making him forget himself and step past his father to stand beside his mother.

His father snarled and snapped at him making Ezekiel step back. "Don't go near him again! I thought I made that clear." He hissed as Ezekiel steeped back.

The stranger whimpered painfully and Ezekiel and his father broke eye contact to look at him, then at Glen.

"What's wrong with him now?" Mantilo grumbled as the man shook on the ground, next to the wall. To Ezekiel it looked like he heaved once or twice, but nothing managed to come up.

Glen tilted her head up and sniffed the air, but it was his brother Walter who answered him first.

"The mortal is bleeding internally, beneath the skin. His stitches hold, but something is pooling heavy blood into his wound." he said to his mother's back. His dark brown eyes shifted from analyzing the stranger to Ezekiel. His face set in its usual solemn frown, showing no real emotion.

His mother nodded glancing at him briefly. "Yes. I smell the blood gathering, pooling around the stitches in the flesh. I've got to relieve the pressure, drain the new blood and plug the hole. I'll have to resew him up." Glen said ticking the points off on her small, but graceful fingers.

"Either way he seems to be hurting real bad." she told them. She shot Ezekiel a glassy glare. "What the hell happened anyway?" she asked him.

Ezekiel opened his mouth to respond, but his mom walked away with an eye roll before he could come up with a decent lie to tell her.