Chapter 28 - Uneasy

Glen stalked behind Mantilo all the way to the bottom floor of their home.

A soft warmth crawled all along her arms and brushed her spine. A feminine hiss curled down her throat. She ignored her sons as they trailed behind both her and Mantilo; no doubt they were waiting to see what was about to transpire.

Angrily stomping along, her Mate's ire seemed to rumble in the space like a physical thing. Mantilo stomped down the steps in front of her, awareness of his wild emotions, the faint heat of shift energy dancing in the air, and the scent of his inner beast tickling her senses. Pulling up many different responses from her. The strongest of them is pleasure. Even amid rage...the female Shifter and the woman in her couldn't help but be excited at the familiar tingle of their mate floating into her lungs. It was a tingle that Glen always felt when she caught Mantilo's scent or simply saw him walking around or standing beside her.

She was genuinely crazy about her mate. She treasured her husband. And Glen knew that there was no one else for her or anyone else that she would be able to walk beside except for him.

Every never ending in her body was his to destroy.....and vice versa.

But maybe that was why she currently wanted to strangle him to death?

Another hiss crawled up her throat as Mantilo stepped off the bottom landing and headed for the door, pretending not to hear her displeasure.

So Glen slammed her foot into the ground as she stopped on the last stair step and openly snarled at him.

Suddenly, Mantilo turned and roared back at her.

"What in gods name is wrong with you, woman!" he snarled, his irises slit like the cat hidden inside of him. "Why are you hissing up a storm?"

"You!" Glen growled, pointing at him. "You are unbelievable, Mantilo! Did you hear yourself back there, acting like a mindless beast? You almost Shifted just so you could scare the stranger half to death!!"

Mantilo hissed at her. "How I choose to deal with that intruder is none of your concern."

"What in God's name is wrong with you?" Glen snapped back at him. "You threatened him! You threatened to kill him! He's a boy!"

"Damn right, I did! And I meant it! He's a threat to us." Mantilo growled down at her. He outstood her by a good five or six feet, even though she had the step she was standing on to make her stand taller. But as he used his size to dominate her, he only made Glen angrier.

Glen rolled her eyes. Sometimes, the men in her life boggled her mind. "Mantilo, you said so yourself...He is just a mortal boy and one that is possibly no older than Ezekiel. He's practically two days from death and, not to mention half your size and barely half your age....and you feel challenged by him!!?"

Mantilo's right hand balled into a meaty fist that he slammed into his leg. "I want that....little bastard out of my house!"

"You don't know anything about him! You can't just get rid of someone because you don't like their attitude. He can't be moved anytime soon!" Glen rebuffed, feeling horrified.

"I can...and I will." Mantilo snarled, brushing aside her objections, and Glen was surprised and alerted by his tone. He sounded so cold and heartless to her just then....but in all the years of their Mating and marriage, she had never associated coldness or heartlessness with him.

"What are you doing, Mantilo? This isn't like you!" Glen growled, feeling a sharp tooth cutting into her cheek as her canines sharpened.

She took a step back from him and from the anger. Mantilo was not a mindless bully or a fool. She respected his mind and his wisdom...and he respected hers. Yelling at him was only distorting that... And Glen realized that she had to calm him down, or they would just continue to argue in circles.