Chapter 58 - New Day

It was on once Brandon had walked outside into the air that he realized how early in the morning it really was.

He quickly guess that it was no later than 6 am by the position of the sun in the sky and the soft dewy chill that glossed the grassy fields that stretch endlessly all before him. Far, far in the distance Brandon could make out the giant canopy of the pines that encircled the Leopards Land's and the mountains to the far north that boarded the other side of the land.

He took it all in for a few seconds, then he stepped off the porch, ignoring the cool droplets that drenched the soles of his feet as he moved towards a wide gap in the far left of the mansion, where dim light poured out and the shadows of multiple people could be seen moving about.

Slowly Brandon marched over to the opening and put his head into the light and glanced around.

The space beyond the door was filled with various items for field work. Far too the left was a shelf filled with boots, and old clothing, and far too the back Brandon could see a pile of shovels, folded chairs, and other appliances that were mostly obscured from view, and set into the middle of the wide space were five wooden benches, while across the room, seeming completely out of place was a giant flat screen television and a mini fridge humming its life away. And then he spotted the bodies responsible for making the shadows.

Ezekiel sat on one side of the tv. He looked freshly risen, with hair combed back, and a long sleeved plaid shirt left open and a pair of simple jeans and a black belt. His eyes were turned down at his feet, where he was lacing up a pair of boots on each as he had a smile on his face as he listened to what his brother Lander was saying to him.

Lander stood beside him, in a white t-shirt and faded jeans, with his own boots already laced on and the customary cocky smile plastered on his face as he said something to Ezekiels that seemed to make him laugh. And it was at that moment that Lander seemed to sense Brandon's eyes because Lander looked over and the smile turned to a sneer as his dark green gaze took Brandon in.

"We'll look who's here." Landers familiar and unwelcome voice called out. "It's Candy Pants...."

Wanting desperately to ignore him, Brandon steeped further into the room and simply replied "That's not my name." Then looking at Ezekiel directly he said "Ezekiel can I talk to you?"

"Oh come on Candy Pants is perfect for a little shit like you..." Lander quipped sounding like he wanted to say more, but Ezekiels quickly cut him off.

"Lander leave it alone." Ezekiel hissed and after a moment Lander shrugged and didn't say another word. Then Ezekiels stood up, completely uncaring of the shirt that remained open as he walked over to Brandon.

"Good morning...What's wrong...Brandon?" he asked and like his mother Ezekiel's blue eyes glanced around Brandon as though searching for injuries as Lander stepped up beside them to listen.

"Nothing's wrong..." Brandon sighed surprised to be answering the same question once more. "Your father said that I had to have you escort me if I wanted to walk around."

"Right. I'm sorry." Ezekiels said, then shook his head and then shrugged in apology. "But I'm not actually goona be able to escort you around right now....I have to get on my rounds and patrols."

"I know....Can I come....? You dad said I could go." Brandon asked and told him. Ezekiel hesitated, but seemed both surprised and happy about the idea. He reached up and began buttoning his shirt as he spoke.

"I don't mind it you tag along for a few hours but..."He stopped and bit his lip in uncertainty. "Are you sure? It's nothing special. It might get boring out there."