Chapter 57 - Boredom

Life continued on in the mansion with the Leopards for Brandon, but he felt more like a plague victim instead of a guest as the days passed.

After his incident with the stitches and his subsequent outburst Ezekiel gave him some space. And for that he was thankful. Brandon found that the longer he spent with the Shifter...the more he felt like he was losing sight of his priorities.

And, even though he was mostly alone, the next two mornings went about the same for Brandon. Ezekiel woke him up, checked his injuries, and fed him. And then Ezekiel tried to ask him with a few questions. And for the most part Brandon ignored him until he gave up and went away.

Then Brandon was right back in bed trying his hardest to heal slowly, to parcel out the energy that he could feel growing stronger inside him. Every minute it grew, the signal getting stronger.

He didn't know how to stop it anymore. He could almost sense the monsters out there in the world. Hunting for him, waiting for him to slip. Soon the power would be too strong for him to neglect, but for now....Brandon refused to let it rise to the surface.

He let the energy roll off him like water when he was alone and desperately chopped and locked it down wherever another person came close to him. He ate frequently and conserved his strength. He understood that his days among the Shifters in that mansion were only growing shorter. Soon he had to move on...or people were going to die.

But by the third morning he came to realize that the Lock Down on the Leopard Clan was still firmly in place and normally used to traveling large distances, Brandon was tired of pretending to be sickly and exhausted. After untold nights spent out in the wilds, running, fighting and surviving....the small room that he awoke inside of each morning began to wear down on his mind. He needed space and open air and the earth beneath his feet.

He was angry to be trapped there. He was sick of the feeling of carpet beneath his toes..... Or perhaps he was simply bored out of his mind?

No books rested in the guest room that he occupied. So he couldn't read to pass the time.

There also were very few electrical appliances to tinker with, which didn't surprise him since the Leopards that he lived with seemed to run their home like an old log cabin up high in the mountains instead of a majestic, beautiful mansion sitting in the middle of a giant four part and fully functioning village.

But somehow he found the candle light charming and even though Brandon was surprised by the lack of innovation that he did see, he wasn't wholly unhappy about it either. He had quickly come to like the calm, and quiet that surrounded him and the overpowering smell of pine in the air. It settled him like.....well nothing had ever settled him before.

Still.....if I don't get out of this room.....I'm going to start climbing the walls!
Brandon told himself. And just that fast he was resolved to getting out and taking a stroll.

He pulled back the covers, and with a stiff, limp that remained from the healing stitches, Brandon forced himself to stretch out. He soon got out of his sick bed, pulled on a pair of black sweats and a long sleeved white shirt which fit him, just all the other clothing that the leopards had given him.

I'm starting to feel bad for this guy Nate, I bet he's running out of clothes by now....
Brandon said to himself as he looked around for something to put on his feet and came up short. So with a stifled yawn he gave up on shoes.

He slept with his gloves on at all times, so there was no need to look for them. But as he moved around in the loose back sweats he desperately wondered where he could possibly get a pair of jeans from before the day was over.