Chapter 13 - Disrespect

"Dad wait..." Ezekiel began.

Mantilo walked forward, snarled and pushed Ezekiel aside.

Ezekiel stumbled to the side and let him pass as he bit his lip anxiously. He knew making a move to defend the man would only lead him to a worse fate.

Mantilo went closer to the mortal's sick bed. He feared what his dad would do, but Ezekiel also knew that trying to stop the man was pointless.

"A mortal? Are you insane!?"He growled approaching the stranger in the bed. Mantilo looked over the feverish, slumbering moral and clenched his fists at his sides. Ezekiel could sense his anger and unease growing as he spoke. "Get him out of here! We need to take him back to his kind!"

Ezekiel looked at his mother then back at his dad with a wince. "We can't do that..." He tried to say. He tried to tell his dad that the mortal wasn't in any condition to be moved, but Mantilo growled at him, cutting him off.

"You can't!? Fine then! I'll do it myself." Mantilo barked.

"Mantilo don't!" His mother gasped running over to the bed.

But faster than anyone in the room could react his father wrapped a heavy hand around the mortals neck and unceremoniously stated to rip him from the covers. The mortal's entire body was limp as a rag doll as his father tried to lift him form the bed and into the air by his thin throat.

"Whoa!" Lander slurred over his busted lip.

"Wait!" Nate tried to interject.

Ezekiels hand was wrapped around his father's wrist faster than he even knew what he was doing. "Let him go! Dad you're gonna crush him !" Ezekiel hissed as he squeezed his Fathers wrist and snarled at him. Unbidden Ezekiel felt his inner beast rising to the challenge, challenging their father, something he never dreamed he would do in a million years.

Mantilo roared back in his sons defiant face.

"Stop it both of you! Mantilo put my patient down before you kill him!!" Glen slapped her hands into his Fathers chest and somehow her words more than Ezekiels aggressive behavior seemed to get his attention.

"Your patient!?" Mantilo hissed still holding the lifeless mortal a few inches off the mattress. And despite Ezekiels attempts to turn his wrist free of the mortal, his dad wouldn't release his hold.

"Yes my patient!" Glen hissed at a man that no other man in their village dared to take that tone with. She put her hands on her small hips and growled right back at him. "You are gonna make him more anemic if you don't put him down!"

Mantilo scoffed and blinked at her. He seemed at a loss for words. Ezekiel wisely decided to let her continue to talk to him.

"Woman have you lost your mind!" Mantilo finally growled at his mother.

"Well...." Glen sighed. "I'm not entirely sure at this moment, but that's beside the point." She pointed to the mortal hanging before him. "He needs medical attention so I gave it to him. That makes him my patient. My responsibility."

Using his free hand his father grabbed her shoulder and pushed her back from the bed. "So, you brought this outsider in here!?"

"No! I wasn't the one who brought him here!" Glen snarled back just as fiercely. "But I am gonna treat him, so put him the hell down Mantilo. RIGHT NOW!!"

Without a word Mantilo let the mortal fall back onto the mattress like a useless sack. Ezekiel wince and tried to reach out, but faster than he could react his dad, turned and snatched him by the arm.