Chapter 11 - Team Work

All three of Ezekiels brothers shared anxious unsure looks.

Then all of then leveled their eyes at him. As if to say "WE TOLD YOU SO!"

But before Ezekiel could even think of the words his mother opened her eyes.

Without a word she put a small hand to the mortal's chest. Then putting a hand to her own wrist she began silently counting the mortals pulse. Tight lipped and not sparing any of them one glance she bit off two words. "Explain this!"

Ezekiel, and all of his brothers were grown men, although Ezekiel had only just turned twenty three, he was definitely not a child.

He didn't fear his parents, or really much when it came to being a Shifter but in that moment......he was totally blown by how much anger one woman could pack into those words. Ezekiel swallowed, looked at Landers sneering face, flipped him off; then he went about recounting the entire story.
This time leaving nothing out.

"So, he was already delirious when he attacked you basically? You describe mostly delusional behavior." Glen mused more to herself more them to her sons, then she touched the mortal's forehead again. "He seems to be suffering from a terrible infection. He could very well have attacked you out of paranoia and illness."

"So you believe me?" Ezekiel asked her. "I don't think that the attack was planned. He got lucky."

Glen looked at his shoulder then hissed. "I don't like it!! That was one lucky attack that could have killed you." Glen told him, then she shook her head. "But, yes. I see your point. His vitals are so poor. He's practically on fire from fever, and blood loss is going to take its toll on rationality." Glen shrugged. "I can only speculate, but in the end it won't matter if he dies on us."

Lander ran a hand through his scalp with a snarl. "So you'll help him!?" he asked her coming out of the corner to the center of the room. Glaring at Ezekiel he looked at Walter and spit at him. "Say something here!! You're the oldest Walter!! Talk to them for me!"

Walter, who was sitting, eyes closed, head tilted back to the wall, and his long legs out before him chuckled mirthlessly. Clam, uninterested brown eyes, opened and looked at them all, as Walter lifted his head and shrugged. "I don't think you want me to weigh in here Lander." He said softly. "I would not in fact be your supporter. I believe that we do what we need to do, what we want to do....and deal with the consequences later. If death can be prevented it should."

Nate, who was standing by the door, tossed his hand into the air. "I agree." He said with a wolfish smile at Lander. Then he put his hand back down and said "We should let mom try to heal the stranger. No matter what....We'll deal with the Clan rules later."

Ezekiel smiled at him, then looked at his mother. But she seemed to be in her own world. He hands were shaking slightly as she put her hand on the mortal's chest. She pulled it back, when his shirt made a wet slapping sound beneath her fingers. When she looked at her palm it was dripping with fresh blood. "No." she said softly. "I can't. This is a Mortal and I've never..."

Their mother looked at Ezekiel, then back at the mortal, but she shook her head. She stood up and walked a few steps away from the bed. "I can't do it. "

"Because of dad?" Ezekiel asked her following behind her until she stopped a few feet away from the bed and turned to him. She put a hand to her hip as she looked at him with a swift eye roll.

"Ezekiel, I love you father, but the man doesn't frighten me in the least. In not saying "no" because of your Father. " Glen touched his shoulder, as he came up to her. "I can't do it because I'm not skilled enough, sweetheart. I don't know if I can save the stranger or if I'll just end up killing him faster." Glen told him. With a helpless shrug she walked back over to the bed and motioned to the mortal. "Look at him, listen to that heartbeat, hes drenched in his own blood." His mother bit her lip. "Mortals are delicate. He's already got both feet in the grave Ezekiel. I'm a healer, not an angle. And mortals are so...fragile."