Chapter Thirty-One

Here is the next chapter and it's meant for awesomeness...I sincerely hope so that is. On we go my lovely readers!

Chapter Thirty-One: Protecting the Underworld and Returning to the Place Called Hell and His Torture.

Point of view: Perseus Jackson

"Here we are." I mutter.

Nico looks at me worriedly. "You okay?"

I look at him. "Yes, I'm just remembering the days before the Titan War's final battle."

He nods knowingly. "I'm still sorry about that by the way." He smiles sheepishly.

"You had a right to know about your mother. I am no longer upset about it." I tell him and he smiles gratefully at me now.

"Thanks." He says.

I look around and judge how much of the Underworld I should shield from the enemy. "Oh boy."

Nico raises an eyebrow. "What?"

"I have an idea." I loo at him seriously.

"What is it?" He asks, getting down to business.

"Your magic is also shielding, but you haven't used your magic all that much. You are going to place a shielding spell over your father's palace. I will handle the defense spells for the rest." I reply.

Nico hews it over and nods slowly. "I can do that. So, is shielding a branch of defense magic?"

I grin. "Precisely. I can do more than just shield things from harm. Yours is purely a blocking specialty. It would helpif you needed to heal someone while being attacked."

"That's good to know." Nico says.

"Get going and stay hidden. Annabeth or someone might be lurking. I will expel them quickly if they are here. Now go." I tell him.

Nico takes off, drawing shadows to him and blinking out of everything's sight but mine. I move forward a few paces and sit on the black sandy shores of the Styx. I search through the Underworld for any unwelcome presences and find none. I sweep it again just in case. Then I focus on placing layers upon layers of shielding, protection, warding, and defense spells around the whole entire Underworld. I block all entrances into and out of it unless I myself want to get through. I also place an extra defense spell or two around Nico's shielding spells. 

Nico runs back and helps me stand. "I erected five layers of shielding magic around the palace and whoa..." The feeling of my magic in the atmosphere makes he look around in amazement, though everything looks the same. "Your magic is so cool."

I boom with laughter. "Thank you. But I am afraid we must now continue our journey and plunge into the depths."

Nico's face hardens and we make our way towards the precipice. I lay a hand on his shoulder. "Listen, Nico." I begin.

"What is it Perce?" He asks as stale wind blows at our forms and swirls his curly hair, ruffling our cloaks and making them billow behind us. 

"When it comes time to figure out what the foreboding energy is, I do not want you anywhere near it." I tell him.

He looks at my face and then into my eyes. "I can't do that." He shakes his head. "I won't let you face it alone."

"Old friend. There must come a time when you realize you cannot be there for me every moment of our lives." I say and look down at the pitch black, inky darkness.

"Which is what you are trying to do now." Nico counters.

"No, I am merely trying to spare you from something you don't even need to do. I wasn't there for the past three years and neither were you." I squeeze his shoulder.