Chapter 25: Living cliché

It's been a week.

A long week filled with new and much more exciting ways to exercise. Nick squeezes my hand and I glance up at him, he's smiling down at me fondly. I grin back up at him. “What? “ I ask shyly.

“I love you, you know?” My heart squeezes at the emotion in his voice, he sounds almost melancholy.

I frown slightly, but still smile. “Of course I know. I love you too”

He grins, his laid-back smile. “Good. I want you to remember that” My brows pinch together in confusion as we continue to walk into school, confused with his random confession.

My attention is quickly stolen, the moment we enter. The halls are crowded with florescent yellow jackets, students milling on the sidelines, whispering obnoxiously to one an other. We both pause haltingly at the door, taking slowly tentative steps further.

One of the officers, turn toward us. His face hardens as we approach. “Nick Branigan?”

My hand gripped his tighter, dread seeping deep into my gut. With wide-eyed confusion, I snapped my gaze between them.

Nick's jaw tightens, his frown turning prominent. “Yeah …?” He replies confusion and worry obvious in his tone.

The man takes his shoulder, turning Nick's back on us both and taking his hands, securing them in cuffs. My heart sinks and I want desperately to reach out for him again. My heart was pounding so loudly in my ears that I almost didn't hear the officers next words.

“Nick you're under arrest for the assumption of trafficking and consumption of illegal substances” His voice was cold and stern, each word hitting me like a punch in the gut.

My lungs began to burn with the need for air, as I momentarily forgot how to breath. I stared unseeingly back at Nick's wide desperate eyes, too numb to process what was truly happening. It wasn't until Nick's voice filtered through the haze that I blinked back into reality.

“Ashley” He pleaded over his shoulder, resisting the two officers trying to pull him away. “You know me I wouldn't do it. I didn't do it. Ashley you have to believe me”

I couldn't find any words to reassure him. I craved to run after him but my feet were glued firmly to the ground. My body taking longer to respond to my mental demands. By then it was too late.

Suddenly everything was silent, I felt the heavy burden of judging eyes burning into me. Then their whispers started, their words plaguing me like a vile disease consuming me from the inside.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did it. It wouldn't be the first time.

I heard it was cocaine.

There's always one and it's no surprise that it's Nick.