Chapter 16: Stolen Moment

Chapter 16: Stolen Moments

“Pssst” someone whispered in my ear whilst violently poking my ribs. I squirmed and groaned loudly and covered my ears “Leave me alone”

The covers were ripped off my body, letting the murderous chill of air attack my body. I curled up into a foetal shape in a pathetic attempt to keep my body warm. “Ashley get your fat ass up now, someone is in the house”

My eyes shoot open immediately and my body jerks up, suddenly all my senses are alert. “What?” I whisper yell in shock and horror. Mayce looks as if she has just witnessed someone strangling a kitten, her eyes wide and glazed with fear.

As I stand, she discreetly hides behind my back and clutches my crop top “Downstairs, someone is downstairs in our house” I gasp and hurriedly and reluctantly abandon my sister to grab the random encyclopaedia, off my desk.

Bare footed and in nothing but a crop top and some baggy joggers, I begin to tip-toe out into the hall with the huge encyclopaedia above my head. “Ashley!” Mayce whisper yells harshly “What are you doing?”

I glare at her over my shoulder before ‘shhh-ing’ her harshly, then continuing to creep down the stairs. The whole time my heart was pounding in my ears and my breath was coming out in quick ragged pants, as the adrenaline coursed through my body.

I could hear the faint padding of Mayce’s footsteps right behind me as we finally and successfully make it down the stairs undetected. Hmmm, it’s kind of surprising how ninja I am being now.

There was a loud clatter coming from what sounded like the kitchen, before an array of curses was muttered. I froze mid-step to gather what little self courage I had left, then like the fucking idiot I am …

I ran into the kitchen screaming like someone from Sparta, with a huge encyclopaedia held above my head in an attacking stance. Only to be met by my sister’s blood curdling scream of horror and Max’s wide eyed stare.

How on the earth can I offer to let someone stay at my house, then the very next morning come running at them screaming like a warrior, with a stupid encyclopaedia as my chosen weapon. I mean come on …

I let out a huge sigh of relief and dropped the heavy book to the floor with a loud thump; I rested my hands onto my knees as I gasped for my breath. “I am so sorry, I forgot and my sister just – I – doesn’t matter, I’m sorry” I apologise quickly.

Max is frowning at me in shock and confusion, until the corners of his mouth quirks up in a smirk “Did you try to attack me with an encyclopaedia?”

A crimson blush burned brightly on my face as I bowed my head in embarrassment. I scoffed “No”  

“Right” he drawled out slowly and disbelievingly. Someone cleared their throat behind me making me jerk around to see Mayce. She looked a little less shaken up but a lot more confused and … interested? In a certain muscled boy behind me.