Chapter 21

Hashir's P.O.V

I drove the car madly towards the hospital with my eyebrows scrunched and eyes focused on the road in front yet my mind was swirling with a lot of conflicted emotions.
Whatever happened wasn't the cause of my distress but the concern and panic I saw in her eyes for me last night and how she defended me today in front of her friends was baffling and that's why I couldn't control myself and consoled her when Umar left.

I was furious at her good for nothing cousin who accused me like that despite knowing everything and I wanted to punch him in the face right at that moment but I controlled myself. I wanted to know what'll Dua do in that situation? Will she defend me? And she really shocked me by fighting with his best friend for me and declaring me her husband proudly in front of all.

Of these six months that she has been working here in my hospital and after what I've encountered in her behaviour these months I was sure of one thing and that is I'm missing something.

I missed something in the past but what was it? I tried so hard to remember it but couldn't get anywhere. Moreover what did Umar meant by she had suffered a lot because of me. I know he wasn't bluffing and it must be something serious because Umar I know will never joke about Dua like that.

'What if whatever happened five years ago was just a misunderstanding or miscommunication and my Dua was innocent'
A sudden thought crossed my mind and I shuddered at my thinking. This couldn't happen. But what if....

Flashback

It had been a week since Dua had met her father secretly and to say that I was suspicious of her weird behaviour must be an understatement. My talk with her didn't alleviate my suspicion rather it enhanced it since I was sure she was hiding something from me. I even found her in my study in the middle of the night and when I caught her she said she got up to drink water but lost her way in darkness and end up there.

It was a white lie as my study was located at the far end of the hallway at a secluded corner since I didn't like disturbance during my work and it was opposite in direction to kitchen so she couldn't possibly get there even if she end up losing her way. On the other hand Dua had been coming to Haveli for years and she was aware of every nook and corner of it. She can tell the directions even with a blindfold on so how could she lost her way.

But I didn't question her since she was already looking panicked and I wasn't going to make her more stressed. I decided to give her some space as it's necessary in a relationship. I thought she'll tell me after some time just not now but what I didn't expect was it was worst choice ever.

I came back to haveli after a tiresome day of non stop working. The only thing that I wanted was a heavenly dinner with a steaming cup of hot coffee. Even the thought made me lick my lips.
When I reached haveli it felt unusually silent. When I went inside I get to know the reason.

There were no maids in the haveli. The haveli was empty. I frowned in confusion. We had almost five to six maids in haveli excluding the gardener and driver. They mostly take care of haveli since me and Dua were the only one's living here and I was mostly absent because of my job.

I looked around and there was no one here. Where was Dua? And why wasn't anyone here? I decided to go to kitchen and drink water and then find Dua. When I went to the kitchen I gasped in shock. There stood Dua in front of the stove cooking God knows what.

"Dua what the hell are you doing?"
I asked loudly still too shocked since Dua didn't know cooking. She just know a lil bit like how to make noodles, pasta or coffee because for the love of God she was only eighteen.