Chapter 26- Bentley's POV

I run with Veronicas limp body in my arms. There is 60 seconds until the bomb goes off. Sweat beads on my forehead and my head is pounding. Panic fills my chest as I count down the seconds until we are dead. I exhale a sigh of relief as I make it to the garage. I hop in the jeep and set Veronica in the passenger's seat. I start up the car and I drive away. The roads are blocked off so I take the detour in the woods. I watch my family's villa go up in flames in the mirror of the jeep.

The memories of all of those years growing up in that house brings up bitter feelings. My sister used to sneak out to go to parties when we were supposed to be training. My father found out and blamed it on me. Farren got let off the hook, until her pregnancy.

I was walking down the hall one day when I was about 17. I heard crying and vomiting in a room meant for the servants. I nudged the door open with my foot and saw her, my father's pride and joy sitting over the toilet. A pregnancy test was on the sink.

I snap out of the memories as I hear a gunshot. The war is still going on. What are we going to do? The toxic fog rolls toward the jeep faster than I anticipated. My knuckles turn white on the steering wheel and I step harder on the gas. We speed in the wood as the gas catches up. I skid to the left as a tree falls in front of the Jeep. I reverse and steer towards the right as another tree falls.

"Shit." I yell,

Veronica stirs in her seat and her eyes flutter open. She sees the giant log in front of us and snaps back into reality. She looks around and her eyes settle on the fog rolling behind us.

"We are trapped!" I mutter.

"I can lift up the log." Veronica says, staying calm.

"Wait!" I yell. "What if the fog gets to you first."

"Don't worry." She rubs her finger in a circle over my knuckles, letting out a sad smile.

Before I can respond she runs out of the jeep and the fog is only 5 feet away. Panic fills in my chest and I watch her lift the log with her powers. The fog is wrapping around the back of the jeep fast. She runs back into the jeep and closes the door. She starts coughing and her eyes flash blue.

"Veronica!" I yell. I grab onto her hands and look at her in the eyes which won't stop beaming bright blue.

"I'm okay. Hurry, the fog is rolling in." She says.

I step on the gas pedal and hear Veronica coughing. Blue streaks fill the car and she grasps onto the seat. I focus on the road as worry flushes my brain. Veronica puts a hand on her head and lets out a gasp.

I grab onto her hand while keeping on hand on the wheel. I put a hand on her forehead and she is burning up. I can't lose you again. You are all I have left.

"If I was exposed to any more then I would die slowly but a little bit is more like the flu." Veronica says, sniffling. With our powers we are not supposed to get sick. So Veronica does not have any antibodies or a built up immune system to fight against this virus. "If we get onto West's territory then their barrier will block out the fog." She observes.

The West. I bite my lip and think back to the horrible nightmares I have had there. They assassinated who I thought was my mother. They beat up Veronica and took her away from me when I was 8. I feel Veronicas smooth soft hand slide into mine and I snap out of the memories. I lace my fingers with hers and I look over at her to see her cheeks are red from the fever.

After a while she falls asleep on my shoulder as the fog slows down. We are almost to the West's safe house. I stop the jeep at the waters of the river. The Easts Coast Guard is fighting against the Wests for control of the river. Trees are on fire and ash rises in the air.

I open the door of the jeep and the fog is about 15 feet away. Veronica has lost consciousness again. I tear off a piece of cloth from my shirt and wrap it around her mouth like a mask, protecting her from the smoke. I carry her in my arms as the dead grass crunches under my feet, making sure to stay out of the line of fire. The West doesn't see me yet.

I step out and the cold waters of the river splashes up onto my boots. I think back to when the doctors evaluated my powers. Magma and water can get me across. The fog is rolling in fast and has enclosed the jeep.

"Almost there." I mutter.

I set Veronica down in the grass and stare out onto the open waters. I pull my hood over my head and curl my hands out. I close my eyes and feel the need for power inside of me. I feel my energy being depleted and when I open my eyes, magma and water have created a rock surface.

With Veronica in my arms again, I make my way across the hard rock. All of the sudden the rock in front of me crumbles. My boot slips and I stumble backwards to see The West's cannons aimed at me.

"Hand her over." They announce.

I can't let that happen. I speed into a run as the fog gets closer. My boots hit the edge of the rock and I jump, tumbling to the other side. I protect Veronicas limp body with my back as we hit the ground.